algae in new SWG pool

Jul 29, 2008
I'm a total newbie to this site and to my new gunnite pool that has a new salt generator system.

The builders, who have also provided basic service up to this point, have told me to just add muriatic acid daily ( 1/3 of a jug) and no shock now that the salt generator is up and running. Actually it's been running for a couple of weeks. Soon after the SWG was installed I started to notice some algae on the pool walls and especially the walls in the spa part ( both are white plaster). The tech came by and added about a half a bottle of algacide and things were good for a coupla weeks. I brush the pool faithfully but after the last heavy rain the algae is coming back. The water is crystal clear but I'm paranoid about damaging the pool so the only thing I've done is tonite I put in a pound of powdered/granulated(?) shock. I was shutting off the filter for about 6-8 hrs nightly after midnite about the time the algae started appearing.

I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks

What are your numbers, mainly FC, CC, PH and CYA. Generally for salt pools the CYA is kept between 60-80, but you should check your manuals because it might say differently. The SWG might not be maintaining enough FC to keep algae at bay. You should shock with bleach until the algae is gone. Once your sure no more algae is growing, adjust the output on you SWG to maintain thew FC level, generally 2-4 ppm.

For sure though, post a full set of test results so people can hel you with more accurate advice.

HTH,
Adam

A SWG is not very good at killing algae once you already have algae. So you will need to shock the pool manually. However, there is probably some other issue with your water chemistry that allowed you to get algae in the first place. If you post your numbers we can give more specific advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.