Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could SWG cause humming in breaker box every 6 mins?

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Could SWG cause humming in breaker box every 6 mins?

So for the past 2 days lights have been flickering in my house.

Called power company all good from transformer to meter.

While standing by panel i noticed a hum. It's occurring every 6:XX mins. This is when the lights dim.

If i turn off pool sub panel it stops (95%) sure, gonna try one more time just heard it again.

My SWG is set to run 25% currently, and i'm only using one pump timer, it is set to run from 8-5:30 or 9.5 hours. I just checked and it says the SWG is off because the % was met. So it starts running at 8 am and turns off somewhere around 10:30 vs. 25% of each hour run.

I'm kind of answering my own question i guess, it shouldn't be the SWG.

But what else pool related could cause a breaker box to hum every 6 mins?

(it just happened again and i could feel the vibration in the breaker for the pool sub panel)
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Could SWG cause humming in breaker box every 6 mins?

Is anything coming on every 6 mins? heater?SWG?Pump?

vibration in the breaker box? now that's just strange to me. do you have a mouse in there getting the ol electric chair treatment?

I'm not an electrician...so my post may be 98% worthless.

Have you taken the cover off so you can see what is there to be seen?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Cover's off the panel. Everything is running all the time to my knowledge (except the SWG) at the moment. The 6 min. thing is the answer and it's driving me nuts!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

My automotive background says to isolate the problem. D/C the SWG and see if the problem stops...
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Trying Hot tub at the moment (still not sure about operation time of SWG). Next will be heater, then SWG, the pump.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

SWGs are usually on at least a 2 hour cycle so 25% would be turning on and off after 30 min but not on again for 90 min. So I don't think it would be the SWG either.

But how long does the hum (dimming) last?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

It lasts 1 second. Pool installer says that always means bad breaker. After 2 years and 10 months? Half of my panel is from 1987....

- - - Updated - - -

Not the hot tub......
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Old breakers can hum with load but it still requires a pretty high load before they hum so something is drawing current periodically. Washer? Sump Pump?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

it's a 2+ year old 100 AMP Siemens breaker. I've got the pool pump, pool heat pump, SWG, Pool Cover motor, Hot water heater and SWG all on that circuit. With Hot tub off, and heater now off, the humming is not occurring.

So something has changed, either the breaker IS going bad, or something else started drawing too much juice every 6 mins. on this circuit, right? How could it be that it's every 6 min?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
    it's a 2+ year old 100 AMP Siemens breaker. I've got the pool pump, pool heat pump, SWG, Pool Cover motor, Hot water heater and SWG all on that circuit. With Hot tub off, and heater now off, the humming is not occurring.

So something has changed, either the breaker IS going bad, or something else started drawing too much juice every 6 mins. on this circuit, right? How could it be that it's every 6 min?
    A thermal overload somewhere could cool down enough to reset itself every six minutes. And then trip again as soon as it was powered up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Not an electrician! But maybe the problem is something else which is creating a symptom at that panel. Like something that is set to low and that low setting cycles every six minutes. Something like an AC window unit.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I'd R&R the breaker...but that's just because a breaker is less expensive than calling an electrician out.

Wait, so hottub is off, and heater is off...now problem is gone? what kind of heater are you using? heatpump/electric?

13. Back To Top    #13

Well if the humming stopped after you took the hot tub and heater out, then it has to be one of them. or the combination of them. hook them back up individually for 20 minutes or so and see which one causes the humming.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Electric Heat Pump for Pool
    Electric Hot tub

8:30 AM today

So this morning i'm sitting hear when the pool pump kicks on. So that motor is nice and cold, and when it started up the dimming was all over the place, every few seconds. Now that it's been a few mins. the dimming is getting back on that 6 min. rhythm.

The hot tub is powered up and may or may not have been heating at that point in time.

10:00 Am Today

At some point over the past 1.5 hours the dimming stopped. The heat pump is not on.

So the breaker can handle the pool pump and hot tub after the pool's pump has "warmed up"?
    Why would the pool pump stop causing the breaker to hum?
    It's been a few hours now and the dimming has stooped.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

So the humming only occurs when the pool pump is on?

Might be a failing capacitor or perhaps a centrifugal switch. What is the pump model?
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

You need to put a amp testing system on that breaker to see what the total draw is.

Humming is not normal, somethings wrong. Could be a loose connection (that is my guess), could be a bad breaker, could be a fire just waiting to happen. Theres a lot of energy running through that 100A breaker, way more than you can ever imagine.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

We had the same problem. It was our heat pump. The problem was something called a thermistor (sp) It was under warranty so the guy came and replaced the part. My husband said it looked like a tv tube. It took us days to find out what was causing the humming sound.
    We didn't notice it outside but it sounded like it was either under our kitchen floor or behind a wall. (it turned out there was a cable from the outside box to the inside box on the joist below the kitchen floor. We finally figured out that it was starting at exactly the same time every day which led us to know it was pool related. It was really hot out so we didn't notice that the heater wasn't on because we thought the water was just over the temp needed to turn it on.
    I don't know if your problem is similar but hope this info helps a little. The repair guy said the sound was the heater trying to start.
    Built in October 2011, 16 x 26 x 20 L shaped vinyl IG steel wall pool, Hayward DE pro grid verticle filter 4800 pool, Hayward two speed superpump, 120,000 BTU Pentair Ultra Temp Heat Pump, Aqua Rite Salt system, 8' wide walk out steps, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drains, 500 watt underwater light, intermatic mechanical timer

18. Back To Top    #18

My guess based on your description is an instantaneous load of a heater cycling every 6 minutes. Turn off one device at a time to isolate the problem to the device.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Update: Heat pump compressor is bad.

The Heat pump's fan was running, which is why i thought it was working, but the compressor was not running. Every 6 mins. it was trying to pull ~150 Amps, which is what was causing the light to dim. The 100 Amp breaker was not tripping because the compressor only tries to pull 150 amps for 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Hayward is warrantying the compressor but it will still cost me several hundred in labor, should be fixed next week.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter