Hayward Wall Skimmer Leaking Intex UltraFrame Pool

Jun 16, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Yesterday evening I upgraded my Intex sand filter from the 1600 GPH model to the 2650 GPH model installed a Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit. I have the Intex UltraFrame 12x24x52 pool and the installation seemed to go smoothly except now it is leaking.

Initially I drained the pool down about 6-8 inches to install the skimmer without water leaking. I placed the skimmer just below the liner "edge", marked the screw holes with a sharpie, punched the holes, and then screwed the skimmer on. At that point I cut out the opening for the skimmer using a box knife. I installed the butterfly gasket without cutting it in half like some others have done. I screwed the face plate, gasket, and skimmer together and start adding water. I noticed that now I have a very small stream of water running out from the bottom of the skimmer down the outside of the pool so I stopped adding water (it was getting late last night).

Has anyone had this issue and successfully resolved it? I was thinking I should try using some silicon sealant but I wasn't sure what to buy and if I should put it under the gasket or what. I tightened the screws to the point that the gasket started to "squish" out a little and I felt like I was going to crack the plastic so I think it is pretty tight.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem. I could not believe how much I had to tighten the screws to get it to stop leaking.
Did you tighten only one screw at a time or did you do each one a little and then move on to the next?

Mine also leaked a bit at first. I tightened the snot out of it using a screwdriver bit inserted into a socket wrench, and it's all but quit now. Just a slight seep that I ignore.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I didn't cut the butterfly gasket so its on both side of the pool liner/wall. So I tightened the screws a little more but it still was a very slow leak. I bought a small tube of bathroom silicon sealant and put it around the outside of the skimmer/gasket/plastic on the outside of the pool and no more leaking. It was such a small leak I probably didn't need to worry about it but I am a perfectionist. FYI I used the following silicon that I applied to a slightly wet surface but so far it is holding: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-II-2-8-oz-Kitchen-and-Bath-Clear-Caulk-GE284-3TG/100004845

Lower the pool so it's no longer leaking and apply Marine Goop?
I don't think any sealant will work while it's actively leaking.

I appreciate the product recommendation. Right now the leak is so slow and minor that its probably a gallon a day so I'm not going to concern myself or lose any more pool time working on it. Come next season (since I tear down and put up the pool every season) I will check out the Marine Goop. To my knowledge the Intex Ultraframe pools aren't supposed to stay up through the winter if freezing is expected and in MD we get some really cold weather from time to time.

Sounds good. Keep in mind I haven't done this. Just used Marine Goop to seal lots of things from kayaks to evaporative coolers.

Also lots of people winterize their pools and leave them up. Just search this site for 'winterize'. I'll probably do that, but we don't have many hard freezes here in southern Arizona.

I am going to give you the same advise I gave you in the other thread. Get a #3 Philips instead of the standard #2 and use the extra torque to give you that little bit of extra umph on those screws and you won't have any need to smear something all over the skimmer and your pool. I know they were making a nasty popping/clicking sound that scared you. Mine did and I got nervous too. But those screws have #3 Philips heads because it is necessary to have the extra torque to get the gasket to seal. I haven't done really extensive research on this, but I don't think I have read of anyone busting the plastic from over tightening. However, I have read more than one post of people who thought they had the screws tight but didn't quite have them seated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.