Kreepy Krauly Classic Hose Tangled/Coiled

Jul 15, 2014
clermont, fl
Hi all — just bought a used Kreepy Krauly Classic (about 4 years old, not the newest model they released) and bought all new hose for it. For some reason, the hose keeps getting tangled/coiled/cork-screwed when it makes it's laps around the pool. I have a very long, lap-like pool (one, long rectangle basically) so I have to use all 12 pieces of hose (about 40') so it can reach the farthest end. I'll put it in with no tangles and as it makes it's lap around, it ends up looping the hose on itself. And that means it won't reach the farthest end of my pool (which happens to also be the side that gets the most dirt). Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I use it through the skimmer and no matter how many times I straighten out the hose, it just loops on itself as it makes it's laps. Was thinking about buying the "Twister" to see if it'd help, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions/tips/advice?

I also have left the hose out in a line in the sun, and don't coil the hose when I store it either.

Thanks!

Most hoses have swivels in them. The swivels allow one portion of the line to twist without the twist traveling all through the line. How many swivels does your hose have, and how long is it?

FYI, swivels do wear out. I'm replacing one in my hose today. When a swivel wears out:
1. It no longer swivels.
2. It allows water pressure out, and you lose performance.

I have the original Kreepy Krawly which came with its own hose. It also came with weights. Are you using weights attached to the hose. The longer hose you need I believe the more weights you need. I actually need to order a couple more because my Kreepy tends to just go in a figure 8 pattern and I have to babysit it often and use my pool pole to move it around in different directions. You can purchase the weights on eBay.

Hi Dave,

The hose doesn't have any swivels in them. There's only a swivel cone & bearing that's attached to the top of the Kreepy Krauly — the rest of the hose is just male/female connections.
In that case, I would add a couple of swivels. You can buy them separately--just make sure you get the right size. They will go a long way toward preventing wrapping and tangling.

Hi Dave,

The hose doesn't have any swivels in them. There's only a swivel cone & bearing that's attached to the top of the Kreepy Krauly — the rest of the hose is just male/female connections.

Mine only has the swivel at the top of the unit and it doesn't ever wind up or tangle. Have you checked that swivel. Try turning it while pulling and pushing on it to see if there's any position in which it binds up or gets harder to turn. I replaced mine once when I found it separated from the main body even though the replacement was next to near impossible to snap in place with all the force I could muster.

@smforte — I do use the weights that came with my Kreepy Krauly. According to the manual, you add weights based on the depth of your pool and since mine isn't any deeper than 7' I only need two. I also think the balance is correct because when the KK sits on the pool floor, it's at a 45 degree angle. I was wondering if adding more would help with the issue though.

@DaveR — Where can I get the swivels? I tried looking some up for KK but could only find the swivel base that goes at the top of my KK.

@gtemkin — Thanks for the tip. I did go out and check that swivel but it seems to work fine. I can't seem to find any position where it might bind up or becomes harder to turn, it works in all directions as far as I can tell.

Really, the problem comes from the KK making laps in my pool because of it's shape, and when it comes back to where the hose is hooked into the skimmer, it will loop underneath and then make another lap — creating a "tangle/cork-screw". Once this happens and it tries to reach the farthest end from the skimmer, it can't reach because it's got a "knot" it's made from looping under the hose.

Sounds like you're pretty resourceful, so you may have already checked out Pentair's troubleshooting tips, but in case you haven't, here's their suggestions on how to reduce movements in repetitive patterns.

Check the swivel on the top of Kreepy Krauly® Suction Side Pool Cleaner. It should turn freely.

Check the return line water flow and re-direct as necessary with an eyeball diverter. Refer to page 7.

Check the cleaner hose to ensure it has not become bent or kinked. It only takes one bent or kinked hose section to hinder the cleaning coverage. One way to check for kinks in your hose is to lay each section flat on your pool’s deck (or other flat surface). The hose should be perfectly straight and flat. Do not coil the hose when taking your Kreepy Krauly cleaner out of the pool because it will retain the coil shape, forming a bend or kink.

Seems like the only thing that hasn't been mentioned before is the return flow situation. Might be worth experimenting with that.

Sounds like you're pretty resourceful, so you may have already checked out Pentair's troubleshooting tips, but in case you haven't, here's their suggestions on how to reduce movements in repetitive patterns.

Check the swivel on the top of Kreepy Krauly® Suction Side Pool Cleaner. It should turn freely.

Check the return line water flow and re-direct as necessary with an eyeball diverter. Refer to page 7.

Check the cleaner hose to ensure it has not become bent or kinked. It only takes one bent or kinked hose section to hinder the cleaning coverage. One way to check for kinks in your hose is to lay each section flat on your pool’s deck (or other flat surface). The hose should be perfectly straight and flat. Do not coil the hose when taking your Kreepy Krauly cleaner out of the pool because it will retain the coil shape, forming a bend or kink.

Seems like the only thing that hasn't been mentioned before is the return flow situation. Might be worth experimenting with that.

Thanks for such a detailed answer. I agree, I need to mess with the return flow. I've noticed that two of the jets in my pool are missing the little piece inside the hole that direct the water flow (only one has a little eyeball-type plastic piece that swivels to direct the flow). Is it possible to replace that piece or do I have to buy and install a new jet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.