Pool Motor blew up

Mar 12, 2012
Maryland
So I switched on my pool pump. I saw red sparks shot out the back and my GFCI tripped. I reset the GFCI and turned the motor back on, this time it came on but moved slowly as well as smoke was coming out the back.. I was thinking it was a capacitor or something. I took the motor apart and found there was no capacitor. I looked at the winding and found part of the winding was black and burned. I have the following label information

A.O. Smith
CAT BN25SS
Type SP
FR W48Y
1 HP
1 SF
12 AMPS
3450 RPM

I'm thinking of getting a new motor, I saw them on ebay but the price is high (124 is the cheapest I found). Also I notice the newer versions of these motor operation on lower AMPS (like 7 or 8). Is the amps listed on the old motor the maximum amps or are the newer motors more efficient?

I also notice they sell 3/4 HP motor with the same RPM? Would it make better sense downgrading the motor if these motors both run on the same RPM?

Looks like you're limited with the motors your able to get.
The 1HP two-speed motor you'll need looks to be the BN37, should be less than $200. Running on low will save you money. I've gone from a single speed to a two-speed and am very satisfied. (I use a robotic cleaner, not a pressure cleaner). I run 95% of the time on low.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bn37+motor

You'll need a switch to go from High/low.

Looks like you're limited with the motors your able to get.
The 1HP two-speed motor you'll need looks to be the BN37, should be less than $200. Running on low will save you money. I've gone from a single speed to a two-speed and am very satisfied. (I use a robotic cleaner, not a pressure cleaner). I run 95% of the time on low.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bn37+motor

You'll need a switch to go from High/low.

Thanks,

How long do these motors typically last? Also has anybody successfully rewound a motor? I see you tube videos of people rewinding several small motors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.