Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Motor blew up

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Motor blew up

So I switched on my pool pump. I saw red sparks shot out the back and my GFCI tripped. I reset the GFCI and turned the motor back on, this time it came on but moved slowly as well as smoke was coming out the back.. I was thinking it was a capacitor or something. I took the motor apart and found there was no capacitor. I looked at the winding and found part of the winding was black and burned. I have the following label information

A.O. Smith
    CAT BN25SS
    Type SP
    FR W48Y
    1 HP
    1 SF
    12 AMPS
    3450 RPM

I'm thinking of getting a new motor, I saw them on ebay but the price is high (124 is the cheapest I found). Also I notice the newer versions of these motor operation on lower AMPS (like 7 or 8). Is the amps listed on the old motor the maximum amps or are the newer motors more efficient?

I also notice they sell 3/4 HP motor with the same RPM? Would it make better sense downgrading the motor if these motors both run on the same RPM?
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Motor blew up

The 3/4 hp motor will overheat unless you also get a 3/4 hp impeller. The impeller is around $35.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

If the 3/4 HP has a SF greater than 1.4 you'll be ok. You're concerned with the THP (total HP or SFHP), which is SF * HP.

SF * HP = THP. 1 * 1 = 1

so if you replace your motor with a 3/4 HP you'll want the one with a 1.65 (standard) service factor.

Some reading: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ce-Factor-quot
    Last edited by bobodaclown; 07-22-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Not Brake HP but Total HP or SFHP.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

That price is actually pretty good. I just got a 1 HP for $134. Also check Amazon, they have good prices and customer service.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not take the opportunity to upgrade to a 2-speed motor and save money on electricity? Will cost a little more upfront, but will save over the life of the motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like you're limited with the motors your able to get.
    The 1HP two-speed motor you'll need looks to be the BN37, should be less than $200. Running on low will save you money. I've gone from a single speed to a two-speed and am very satisfied. (I use a robotic cleaner, not a pressure cleaner). I run 95% of the time on low.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bn37+motor

You'll need a switch to go from High/low.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Looks like you're limited with the motors your able to get.
    The 1HP two-speed motor you'll need looks to be the BN37, should be less than $200. Running on low will save you money. I've gone from a single speed to a two-speed and am very satisfied. (I use a robotic cleaner, not a pressure cleaner). I run 95% of the time on low.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bn37+motor

You'll need a switch to go from High/low.
    Thanks,

How long do these motors typically last? Also has anybody successfully rewound a motor? I see you tube videos of people rewinding several small motors.
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.