No Chlorine

mlb

Jul 22, 2014
Houston, TX
I have a AquaRite poll chlorinator and I can't keep any chlorine in the pool. I thought my chlorine generator was not working so I replaced the whole system and I still have no chlorine. All readings are normal. Does anybody know if there are chemnicals that could block chlorine generation that don't show up on standard tests?

7/23 AM Water Test
Chlorine 0
Salt 3300
CA 260
CYA 40
Total Alkalinity 70
P.H. 7.4
Phos 100

Pools store says water is fine - Just needs Chlorine!

Generator Readings
100p
AL-0
r - 1.58
t - 15

How big is your pool?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

A SWG will not raise the FC from zero very easily, especially with your CYA being so low in TX. Raise the FC with bleach and see if the SWG will maintain it. I might suggest performing an OCLT prior to raising the CYA level in case you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

Your low CYA level is definitely an issue. We recommend CYA be around 70 to 80 with a SWG. Lower CYA levels mean more chlorine lost to sunlight, so more difficult to maintain levels.

Your other levels look good.

Since CYA FC went to zero, you want to make sure you don't have a low level algae problem before raising the CYA level. That can be done either by doing an overnight FC loss test, or you could just go ahead and SLAM the pool, while is likely to be needed. Either way, guarantee there isn't any algae involved, get the levels balanced manually, including raising FC and CYA, and then see if the SWG can keep up from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have now raised CYA to 60 and total alkalinity to 110. Adding more stabilizer but still having problem. Also ran nitrates test strip and have 5 ppm Nitrates. 0 ppm Nitrites. I am planning on doing the SLAM procedure but need proper test equipment first.

Please explain the difference between DPD test kit and NAS/DPD test and where can I get the latter. Went to pool store (Leslies) and the kids working there didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

33,000 gal AG plaster pool with 72 Sq. Ft. D.E. Filter and Hayward salt generation system in Houston TX. Pool surrounded by trees and very shady. Little direct sunlight.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

And if you look at the speedstir, it's a very handy tool for doing your tests as your not trying to swirl and mix while trying to add drops, count and monitor for color change all at the same time.
If you get one you won't be sorry. It's so much easier doing the tests and it does help make them more accurate.
If you get the TF-100 they also sell the Speedstir:http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magnetic-Stirrer-p56.html
Video of it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EJknrPjYE&list=UUNFkPFCkt9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g
Help how to videos for some of the TF-100 tests:https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main
They also sell a really nice PSI gauge next time you might need one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.