Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

No Chlorine

I have a AquaRite poll chlorinator and I can't keep any chlorine in the pool. I thought my chlorine generator was not working so I replaced the whole system and I still have no chlorine. All readings are normal. Does anybody know if there are chemnicals that could block chlorine generation that don't show up on standard tests?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a complete set of test results. With that we should be able to give you some specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

7/23 AM Water Test
    Chlorine 0
    Salt 3300
    CA 260
    CYA 40
    Total Alkalinity 70
    P.H. 7.4
    Phos 100

Pools store says water is fine - Just needs Chlorine!

Generator Readings
    100p
    AL-0
    r - 1.58
    t - 15

4. Back To Top    #4

How big is your pool?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

A SWG will not raise the FC from zero very easily, especially with your CYA being so low in TX. Raise the FC with bleach and see if the SWG will maintain it. I might suggest performing an OCLT prior to raising the CYA level in case you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your low CYA level is definitely an issue. We recommend CYA be around 70 to 80 with a SWG. Lower CYA levels mean more chlorine lost to sunlight, so more difficult to maintain levels.

Your other levels look good.

Since CYA FC went to zero, you want to make sure you don't have a low level algae problem before raising the CYA level. That can be done either by doing an overnight FC loss test, or you could just go ahead and SLAM the pool, while is likely to be needed. Either way, guarantee there isn't any algae involved, get the levels balanced manually, including raising FC and CYA, and then see if the SWG can keep up from there.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 07-23-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: CYA -> FC
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Have now raised CYA to 60 and total alkalinity to 110. Adding more stabilizer but still having problem. Also ran nitrates test strip and have 5 ppm Nitrates. 0 ppm Nitrites. I am planning on doing the SLAM procedure but need proper test equipment first.

Please explain the difference between DPD test kit and NAS/DPD test and where can I get the latter. Went to pool store (Leslies) and the kids working there didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

33,000 gal AG plaster pool with 72 Sq. Ft. D.E. Filter and Hayward salt generation system in Houston TX. Pool surrounded by trees and very shady. Little direct sunlight.

7. Back To Top    #7

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

The DPD test measures up to 10-15ppm FC (anything higher bleaches out), the FAS-DPD measures up to 50ppm.
    The TF-100 would be the best bang for your buck.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

And if you look at the speedstir, it's a very handy tool for doing your tests as your not trying to swirl and mix while trying to add drops, count and monitor for color change all at the same time.
    If you get one you won't be sorry. It's so much easier doing the tests and it does help make them more accurate.
    If you get the TF-100 they also sell the Speedstir:http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magn...irrer-p56.html
    Video of it:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EJ...9Y_YYNAeLtUr1g
    Help how to videos for some of the TF-100 tests:https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main
    They also sell a really nice PSI gauge next time you might need one.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!