Help with Returns please

kabz

Jun 5, 2012
We have a lazy L shape inground pool. It is 8ft in the deep end. The skimmer is on the long side of the pool, mid-wall in the deep end. The returns are both on the short side in the deep end. I'm attaching a drawing.

pool returns.jpg

Question - what is the best way to aim the returns. We have trouble getting debris from the shallow end into the skimmer. We can't face the eyes up too far. The Ph is constantly HIGH.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Which way does the wind predominantly blow? Use that to your advantage. Not having any returns in the shallow area makes it more difficult. Not knowing the way the wind blows, I'd say aim towards the deep short wall to get the flow clockwise.

Do I want to point them the same or opposite ways? If I don't point one to the shallow end, I feel like the water there gets no circulation. But then the skimmer is not very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best thing to do is experiment. Throw a handful of ping pong balls (on a windless day) in various places and see if they end up in the skimmer. I would probably first try just aiming the returns toward the skimmer wall (i.e. straight).

If the balls collect in the shallow end, then you might try pointing the return closest to the shallow end toward the opposite corner. The other solution would be to put in a 90 return like this:

Slotted-Fitting.jpg

Pointing returns is kind of hit and miss so no amount of expertise in any area is probably going to help. The more ideas the better. I say try them all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.