Phosphates ???

PattyA

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Scituate, MA
Hi,

Just had pool supply store do chemical analysis.

Pool Supply My readings
FAC 2 FC 2-4
TAC 2
CH 260 CH 225
CYA 50 CYA 40
TA 100 TA 80
pH 8 pH 7.6-7.8
Acid Demand 2 ?
Phosphates 200

I just did my own testing. My questions is about Phosphates, what are they and their effect on pool water? Pool company suggests Phosphate Free to add. Also, Dry Acid to reduce pH.

Thanks, Patty

Phosphates are algae food. They can contribute to faster algae growth. But if the phosphate restaurant is closed due to adequate FC levels, it doesn't matter how much food is around. Phos Free is a waste of money in a properly maintained pool. Your FC should ALWAYS be 3 or above at 40 ppm CYA.

Your pH is in normal range, if it creeps to 8, then reduce to 7.4. I would recommend muriatic acid over dry acid as it's cheaper and adds less chemical species to your pool. It does require more caution when using though. Based on your levels your pH is ideal between 7.4 and 7.9.

Phosphates are algae food. They can contribute to faster algae growth. But if the phosphate restaurant is closed due to adequate FC levels, it doesn't matter how much food is around. Phos Free is a waste of money in a properly maintained pool. Your FC should ALWAYS be 3 or above at 40 ppm CYA.

Your pH is in normal range, if it creeps to 8, then reduce to 7.4. I would recommend muriatic acid over dry acid as it's cheaper and adds less chemical species to your pool. It does require more caution when using though. Based on your levels your pH is ideal between 7.4 and 7.9.

It has been mentioned in the past that phosphates can also be suspected in relation to mustard algae it seems to be the only connection why some pools get it and some don't. Chem-Geek has covered this... he can speak on the subject more.

Now that is praise from on high :D

Not sure why you are getting pool store testing. If just curiosity then hope it is satiated. If you are trying to verify your results, don't. The tests in the recommended kits are the most accurate available. Yes, even the CYA test. Just remember, phosphate removers have very nice profit margins. Can't imagine why they push them so much :rolleyes:

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.