Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious - does Metal Magic Help Hold Ph Down As Side-Benefit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Curious - does Metal Magic Help Hold Ph Down As Side-Benefit?

Greetings. I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

For the two seasons prior this one, I regularly had to add MA to control ph. Eg. Twice a week.

I am on well water with iron so use sequestrants -- prior seasons, jack's pink, this season switched to proteam's Metal Magic.

Since a stain treatment with large amounts of metal magic more than a month ago, and maintenance levels weekly since, I've not once had to adjust ph...has stayed right at 7.4.

My TA is a tiny bit lower this year (right at 70).

So has my pool just found its sweet spot in terms of TA (and ergo ph), or is it possible that the Metal Magic is helping "hold" the ph where the Jack's didn't?

I was just curious to see if anyone else using sequestrants had this experience. Metal Magic instructions on the bottle "tell" you to raise the ph when treating...so maybe they "know" it pushes ph down?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curious - does Metal Magic Help Hold Ph Down As Side-Benefit?

Metal Magic and Jack's products are all mildly acidic, but I suspect that most of what is going on is that TA is lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Sorry this isn't an answer to your question, but ... If you have that much trouble with pH, you might want to consider adding borates to the pool. I've got a couple pools where the pH is constantly rising, and will exceed 7.8 if not treated twice a week to bring it down to 7.5. I started using BioGuard Optimizer Plus (a borate additive, and certainly my favourite - not cheap, but a better product than many others with no extra work needed) in those pools and found my pH was suddenly under control, needing lowering only once every few weeks. Bonus that the water went from crystal clear to *sparkling*, which the residents in the 55+ community loved.
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

Theoretically the borates only slow down the rate of pH rise but don't reduce the amount of acid that needs to be added. They are an additional pH buffer but if they don't reduce the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing then the amount of acid eventually needed to bring the pH back down won't change.

Instead of buying BioGuard Optimizer Plus, why don't you just buy boric acid directly, say from DudaDiesel or The Chemistry Store or AAA Chemicals?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

^chemgeek, I do have borates in the pool and do buy same from Duda Hilton, check out DudaDiesel..free shipping makes it about half the cost of proteam supreme equivalent But thanks for the tip regardless.

My high acid demand in previous years may have also been in part due to the fact that I was attempting to keep the ph lower, eg 7.2, due to the iron. But I'm pretty clear now my pool "wants" to be at 7.4ish and will remain there happily of its own accord if I just leave it alone

Which believe me, works for me!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains