A little confused about chemistry

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Hello,

I have bought the TF-100 kit and used it a few times but still confused. What I am confused about is the kit comes with a Basic K-1000 which has a "Cl" test. So the "Cl" test is not the same measurement as the TC from the larger kit (TF-100)? The word on the k-1000 instructions says "Total Chlorine Test" is making me confused.

TF-100
--------
FC = free chlorine
CC = combine chlorine
FC+CC=TC

Think of the difference between a yardstick and a micrometer.

Once your pool is tamed and under control, you can get by for several days at a time just using the OTO test. You're generally going to be looking to see if you're above minimum, and it's sufficient for that.

I read all over the net regarding chlorine level should be between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm) to maintain a healthy pool. Are they referring to total chlorine?

No, they are referring to Free Chlorine. HOWEVER...please read this next part carefully and understand it: The 1-3ppm FC recommendation does not take into account the level of stabilizer (CYA) in the water. If stabilizer is present in your water then you will have to adjust the minimum level of FC to be maintained for a healthy pool. This is one of the main principles that this site is built on, and is discussed at length in the Pool School.

From your test results above, with CYA at 90 you will need a minimum of 7ppm FC to be healthy (given that you follow the methods presented on this site).

No, they are referring to Free Chlorine. HOWEVER...please read this next part carefully and understand it: The 1-3ppm FC recommendation does not take into account the level of stabilizer (CYA) in the water. If stabilizer is present in your water then you will have to adjust the minimum level of FC to be maintained for a healthy pool. This is one of the main principles that this site is built on, and is discussed at length in the Pool School.

From your test results above, with CYA at 90 you will need a minimum of 7ppm FC to be healthy (given that you follow the methods presented on this site).

Thanks so much. You hit the point. I was like worried that my 8 ppm was too high for swimming. Yes I did read the stuff many times (Pool School).

Thanks so much.

No problem, I'm glad you understood it.

I should have also said that some CYA is required in an outdoor pool, just remember that letting CYA get too high is bad also. 90 CYA is very high (borderline bad) by the standards of TFPC, and you may want to consider a partial drain to lower it to around 50 or so (this may vary a little depending on your specific pool/equipment/location). Of course, when you do that then you will adjust FC levels (downward) accordingly.

Keep studying, it will start to click as you work with the pool. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.