Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little confused about chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

A little confused about chemistry

Hello,

I have bought the TF-100 kit and used it a few times but still confused. What I am confused about is the kit comes with a Basic K-1000 which has a "Cl" test. So the "Cl" test is not the same measurement as the TC from the larger kit (TF-100)? The word on the k-1000 instructions says "Total Chlorine Test" is making me confused.

TF-100
    --------
    FC = free chlorine
    CC = combine chlorine
    FC+CC=TC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A little confused about chemistry

Basic K-1000 measures total chlorine, but only reads to 5ppm
    The powder and reagent in the TF-100, FAS-DPD measures Free Chlorine up to 50 ppm and beyond I guess
    I would suggest this page to read...
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

3. Back To Top    #3

Think of the difference between a yardstick and a micrometer.

Once your pool is tamed and under control, you can get by for several days at a time just using the OTO test. You're generally going to be looking to see if you're above minimum, and it's sufficient for that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I read all over the net regarding chlorine level should be between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm) to maintain a healthy pool. Are they referring to total chlorine?

Some test results I took recently:

FC= 8
    CC= 0
    CYA = 90
    pH = 7.5

5. Back To Top    #5

I read all over the net regarding chlorine level should be between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm) to maintain a healthy pool. Are they referring to total chlorine?
    No, they are referring to Free Chlorine. HOWEVER...please read this next part carefully and understand it: The 1-3ppm FC recommendation does not take into account the level of stabilizer (CYA) in the water. If stabilizer is present in your water then you will have to adjust the minimum level of FC to be maintained for a healthy pool. This is one of the main principles that this site is built on, and is discussed at length in the Pool School.

From your test results above, with CYA at 90 you will need a minimum of 7ppm FC to be healthy (given that you follow the methods presented on this site).
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

6. Back To Top    #6

FC target numbers are based on how much CYA is in the pool. In your case the target FC is 7 to 10 which can be found in Pool School at the top of the page. CC should be 0 or no more than 0.5ppm.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tado921 View Post
    No, they are referring to Free Chlorine. HOWEVER...please read this next part carefully and understand it: The 1-3ppm FC recommendation does not take into account the level of stabilizer (CYA) in the water. If stabilizer is present in your water then you will have to adjust the minimum level of FC to be maintained for a healthy pool. This is one of the main principles that this site is built on, and is discussed at length in the Pool School.

From your test results above, with CYA at 90 you will need a minimum of 7ppm FC to be healthy (given that you follow the methods presented on this site).
    Thanks so much. You hit the point. I was like worried that my 8 ppm was too high for swimming. Yes I did read the stuff many times (Pool School).

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much.
    No problem, I'm glad you understood it.

I should have also said that some CYA is required in an outdoor pool, just remember that letting CYA get too high is bad also. 90 CYA is very high (borderline bad) by the standards of TFPC, and you may want to consider a partial drain to lower it to around 50 or so (this may vary a little depending on your specific pool/equipment/location). Of course, when you do that then you will adjust FC levels (downward) accordingly.

Keep studying, it will start to click as you work with the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Last question for this post . For the pH testing from the k-1000 kit, do you need to shake the container after you drop 5 droplets.? What is the best location to look at the result? In avg lighting in a room or outdoor?

10. Back To Top    #10

I turn it over a few times. You need a solid light background color. The blue sky can work or a white wall.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, shake it a little to mix the reagent with the water. The easiest for me to read it is outdoors against a white or very light background.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks so much.