Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae with some other stuff (little growth in plaster)

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae with some other stuff (little growth in plaster)

Hello,
    I am in the process of doing a SLAM on my pool (CYA 60, FC 30), because my pool had a green tint. A day after the SLAM, the pool passed the overnight test, but I had these little black web like patterns in the plaster.
    Is this black algae?
    Please see attached picture. The growth is the size of a nickel. We only have ~40 of these little webs in the shallow and deep end.
    The pool is now crystal clear, but the little webs still remain.
    Also, we had the pool re-plasted last year. Any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Info: 30,000 Gallons, IG, Plaster, Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Hayward VS pump, Pentair booster
    Initial installation: 1980, rebuilt/plastered 2013
    Old tester kit (5 drop liquid tester), just ordered FAS-DPD from Taylor
    Solar heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae with some other stuff (little growth in plaster)

More than likely, those are hairline cracks in the plaster and you're seeing efflorescence or metal discoloration from behind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Algae with some other stuff (little growth in plaster)

Thank you for your input.
    Because the pool was re-plastered a year ago, I asked the pool company to take a look. They checked all my chemicals and everything was great. They are bringing in their plaster guy to look at it. They also are thinking the dots/webs may be black algae. The spots have not grown at all.
    Pool Info: 30,000 Gallons, IG, Plaster, Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Hayward VS pump, Pentair booster
    Initial installation: 1980, rebuilt/plastered 2013
    Old tester kit (5 drop liquid tester), just ordered FAS-DPD from Taylor
    Solar heating