Saltwater Pool is clouidy after adding Leslie's Powder Plus Shock

Jul 21, 2014
St. James, NY
This might be a premature question, but I just added two pounds of Leslie's Powder Plus shock to my 21,000 gallon saltwater pool tonight after having a ton of people (including many little kids) in the pool the day before. I filled up a large bucket of water and mixed the shock inside the bucket before throwing it into the pool. The only problem is that instead of broadcasting the shock around the pool, I just threw it in all at once. My pool water is now blue but really cloudy. All my chemical levels (alk, cal, ph, cya) are balanced. I guess my question is how long will it take for the water to become clear? How long should I leave my DE filter on in order to rectify the situation? I am leaving it on overnight to hopefully see clearer results in the morning.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mike

Thanks for the quick response. I guess my concern is that I added too much shock to my 21,000 gallon pool. I know Leslie's suggests adding one package for 16,000 gallons. I added two packages about five hours ago. I know I'm probably overreacting over this.

Do you have a test kit to check your chlorine levels? If not, you should pick up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

The idea of this site is to teach you how to control your pool and not rely on anyone else (like the pool store) to "tell" you what you need. I suggest you start reading the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.