Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did anyone here use BioGuard "Softswim" before Baquacil came along?

1. Back To Top    #1

Berks County, PA

Did anyone here use BioGuard "Softswim" before Baquacil came along?

My pool store used the "Softswim" (Biguanide system) for many years. I originally started with chlorine, then abandoned that since I got totally frustrated with constantly running into chlorine demand situations. I then switched to the Biguanide system - the water felt silky smooth but it created problems with clogging the filter. It resulted in short filter cycles - constantly taking apart and cleaning the DE grids - it got old after awhile. Then the pool store began switching over to Baquacil - which I currently use for my oxidizing and sanitizing chemicals. I find it to be much more stable in terms of the filter effectiveness. The pressure does not go up as quickly.

And so, I was just wondering what others' experiences have been with Baquacil and if you like it. Over the past few years they came out with the "CDX" system, which I have not converted to as of yet. One of the problems with the old Softswim system was the development of white water mold in the pool - which REALLY played havoc with the filter...something having to do with the Biguanide molecule just not working well with a DE filter. They then came out with a product called "Assist" that helped to prevent and get rid of the mold. It worked great but was discontinued a few years ago. The CDX system was designed to improve the whole system and prevent the mold. I still have quite a bit of Assist and so have not switched to CDX. Thanks for any thoughts.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Did anyone here use BioGuard "Softswim" before Baquacil came along?

Can't help you other than to say do a search on "Baquacil" (search is in the upper right of each page) and you will get numerous threads discussing it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon