Bigger pump on Intex sand filter

Aug 21, 2011
I found a good deal on a 1.5 hp pool pump. Since my Intex pump was getting noisier,I bought it and installed today. Wow! does it ever push water! I hooked up my vacuum hose and turned the pump on. The pump started surging right away. What would cause this? I backwashed and retried with the same results. Any Thoughts?? I have an Intex 16X48", new 1.5 hp pump, Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG.

Last edited:
Surging means air is getting into the suction side plumbing. That could be something simple like the water level too low allowing air to be drawn into the skimmer or a bad seal on the pump strainer basket lid, or it could be something more complex, like an air leak in the plumbing.

I would check those silly plastic grates they molded into the inlet and return fittings on the pool wall. They restrict flow, and when they get clogged, they cause air leaks to occur at the hose couplings due to the increased suction pressure of the restriction.

Honestly, I Dremel'd mine out.... much higher flow now too. :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Reciently I upgraded from the OEM cartridge pump to a larger sand filter also.
Also, I have modded my strainer (output from pool to input of pump) connection to accept various other "fittings". One "fitting" is a vacuum hose connection that fits over the strainer.. I have noticed that while using my vac hose that my pump will surge and that i will hear a vacuum leak (it sounds like someone sucking the last bit of soda through a straw).
Upon doing some research a couple of days ago, I believe that I have found the problem, which is that on the Intex pools that there is a vacuum relief valve. It is supposedly located right next to the flow valve at the strainer connection.
When i bought this pool in July of 2013, there were two clear rubber caps included in the box. i suspect these are to be used to disable the vacuum relief when upgrading to a larger filter. I have not had the time to confirm this at this time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.