Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey my FAS-DPD sample turned pink again!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey my FAS-DPD sample turned pink again!

I have noticed that after completing my chlorine test if I leave the sample for a few minutes it will turn back pink and I will need to add another drop or two of 871 to get it back to clear. Do others notice this? If not then leave your sample for 15 minutes are so after you complete your test.

FYI I have a brand new Taylor K-2006 test kit and I manually shake the sample vigourously - I don't have a speed stir.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hey my FAS-DPD sample turned pink again!

Yes, if it sits, it will turn pink again, normal. The tests are meant to be preformed in a timely manner
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can ignore it. If you let it sit it will almost always turn pink again. Nothing to worry about and it means nothing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

If you let it sit long enough it can turn shades of lavender and purple! Perhaps this should be in the directions.
    I love my TF-100 and this website. They freely give me knowledge and power over my pool, AND they offer the best deal on testing equipment to keep my Pool sparklicious!! Thanks TFP!!
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so the initial reading is accurate. Let's say I put in 15 drops into a 25 mL sample - so that means I have 3.0ppm of CL. If it turns pink again and if I need to add two more drops to get it back to clear then the Cl level is 3.0 and not 3.4 - that is what I was wondering about. Normally this doesn't matter but if you are doing something like an OCLT then that would matter.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Ok, so the initial reading is accurate. Let's say I put in 15 drops into a 25 mL sample - so that means I have 3.0ppm of CL. If it turns pink again and if I need to add two more drops to get it back to clear then the Cl level is 3.0 and not 3.4 - that is what I was wondering about. Normally this doesn't matter but if you are doing something like an OCLT then that would matter.
    No need to add more. In your example 3.0 is the answer
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

I usually test in 10mL sample. I have a cool Taylor sample sizer that prepares it up for me. In a 10 ml sample you divide the drops by 2.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you doing the CC portion of the test?