Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tree Pollen this time of year?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tree Pollen this time of year?

Isnt tree pollen what you can mistake for Mustard algae?If so that season (at least in NC) is long gone.
    It literally covers cars turning them yellow,hence the mistake for mustard algae.I am still having a problem
    getting rid of a mild case of PERSISTENT algae.I do the slam method,next day small clumps of algae settle
    on bottom,I vacuum,next day smaller clumps of algae settle on bottom,I vacuum,next day same thing for 5
    days and counting.All my "numbers are good".This leads me to believe Mustard and not regular algae.Again
    I cant see pollen being mistaken for mustard this time of year.BTW,do I need to backwash every time I
    vaccum up algae clumps after shocking?The most it says on the Forum is "as needed" Thanks guys.
    One more thing,if I cant determine through ant kind of test if it is Mustard,should I just assume and bring
    it up to Mustard shock level.Cost wise not a big deal(couple extra bottles of bleach) or is this extremely
    more damaging to equipment that I make SURE? its Mustard. Thanks
    16x34 kidney shape 19,000 gal vinyl IG
    Pentair IC-20 SWG
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tree Pollen this time of year?

Just to be clear,when I say tree pollen,I mean the stuff that falls like snow from the trees and covers cars.
    This can easily be mistaken for Mustard algae.The tree pollen this time of year is microscopic and I cant imagine
    it could even be seen in a pool.There are a couple threads on this forum discussing whether its pollen or Mustard
    algae.
    16x34 kidney shape 19,000 gal vinyl IG
    Pentair IC-20 SWG
    Pentair sand filter
    Pentair 1HP pump