Is is safe to leave the pool at shock level until it's cold enough to close i?

sbmiller

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 20, 2013
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is going to sound crazy but I'm done with the pool for the year. The algae lives inside the porous walls if my pool (it needs to be replastered bad) and I'm tired of fighting it. Would it be bad to just leave it at shock level for a couple of months? Draining it or growing mosquitoes are obviously not options.

In DFW does it get "cold enough" to close it? I mean you could just winterize it and close it at anytime if you wanted. I think the cost of maintaining SLAM level for months until its cold in Texas would be a far bigger concern than the safety. If you have active algae waiting to take over and are just keeping them at bay with the chlorine levels, it's going to eat chlorine like it's going out of style.

Last year I drained everything down past the skimmer in late October and added some bleach and a floating chlorine dispenser before putting the safety cover on. I opened it up in April to find very little algae and clear water. I was surprised.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.