Hayward and Penatir VS pool motor pump quotes but found others...

chris fox

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 3, 2013
Phoenix area
So looking to complete the pool remodel with new VS motor/pump. After reviewing many past posts about Hayward and Pentair and Jandy brands. I did some digging and found other brands appearing to be less expensive. And sold without the pump just motors i.e. AO Smith and ecopump.(http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pool-pump-reviews.html)

So getting quotes for the big two(Pentair and Hayward) ranging $1250 installed, has anyone found these other brands offering worth looking into?

thanks in advance...
Chris

So looking to complete the pool remodel with new VS motor/pump. After reviewing many past posts about Hayward and Pentair and Jandy brands. I did some digging and found other brands appearing to be less expensive. And sold without the pump just motors i.e. AO Smith and ecopump.(http://www.ecopoolpumps.com/pool-pump-reviews.html)

So getting quotes for the big two(Pentair and Hayward) ranging $1250 installed, has anyone found these other brands offering worth looking into?

thanks in advance...
Chris

I just bought a Hayward EcoStar off Amazon for $870 and installed it myself in about an hour. It only takes basic plumbing and wiring since I was replacing a pump and do not have automation. Now I am just working on dialing in the timers and speeds to optimize the run time and flow through my pool vac.

The AO Smith variable speed motor is well made, but doesn't play well with automation. There are similar mid-priced pumps from the major brands, for example the Hayward MaxFlo VS, that are attractively priced, but likewise do not play well with automation. If you already have a pump, the AO Smith VS motor can be an attractive upgrade, but if you don't have a pump or your pump wet end is broken you are better off getting something like the MaxFlo VS.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I did a little more research today and went to a local Leslies competitor and was told the Eco star and intelliflo were not really needed for my pool layout. The pump I will be replacing is the filter which runs 9 hrs daily. and Since the cleaning system is plumbed on its own a 13k pool a intelliflo or ecostar is an overkill.

I have 3 pumps: filter(1.5hp), IG cleaning(1.5hp) and spa(3hp).

The max-flo VS or Superflo were recommended instead of the others. I was told the efficiency would be the same and both have easy to use control panel.
So 3 other quotes come in all pointing toward the intelliflo/Ecostar and one says its not needed. Is this guy right, lower priced VS pumps, only for filteration for 13k pool?

There is no automation on the pool? I am running 3 scuppers of the filteration line via a 3 way jandy valve. At my current 1.5 hp emerson the way flow is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.