New heater. System pressure is now much higher.

EvilTwin

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2014
Phila. PA
I had a new Pentair 300k btu propane heater installed today to replace the 20-year old oil fired unit that was here when we bought the house. I have not been able to heat the pool with it yet as I am waiting on the gas bottle hookup. But the one thing I immediately noticed was that the pressure gauge on my DE filter is now showing 20 psi whereas with the previous heater the normal pressure was around 12-14 PSI. This kinda surprised me and makes me think that the system is now more constricted than it was before, even though the plumbing has been simplified in the process. He did add a new check valve as well. Is this jump in PSI something to be expected? Is 20 PSI good/bad? I have attached before and after pics for reference.IMG_0147.jpgIMG_0246_sm.jpg

When I connected my heat pump there was a pressure increase of 4 to 5 psi. I had the same concerns as you, but the experts on this forum assured me that a 4 to 5 psi increase was perfectly normal. I don't know how similar the internals are between a pump and a gas heater, but I imagine some increase in pressure for you would be normal.

Adding a heater will usually raise PSI but replacing one should be about the same. But from the picture it looks like you had a heater bypass but no longer do so that would explain the difference.

But from the picture it looks like you had a heater bypass but no longer do so that would explain the difference.

Yes, that is true. There was a heater bypass in the plumbing but they left that out when they put in the new plumbing. The installer said it wasn't necessary. I reviewed the heater manual and it recommends a bypass if the flow rate exceeds 120GPM. I have a 1.5 HP single speed pump. Not sure if it would exceed that flow rate.

I've seen more of a pressure change only with certain brands of heaters. Strange. A bypass also comes into play if you should need to do a stain treatment or similar. You surely don't want that going thru the heat exchanger.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.