Green and black spots on my vinyl liner

Jul 15, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Hello all,

I am very new to this forum and need a little advice.

FC 12.0
CC .5
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 360
CYA 50

I have green and black spots on my pool liner and green on my pool ladder. I found this site last week and got my TF-100 test kit and brought my number to above. I am currently in the process of SLAMing. So I added bleach this morning per the calculator to get me to FC of 20. (My CYA was 0 and pH was 8.0 so I corrected those first).

The water is clear and I plan to continue to SLAM per instructions.

So - what do I do about the green and black. Scrub down with a brush? Can you recommend a brush to use?

The black spots are stubborn and don't brush off very easily.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 109
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 111
The pool appears to have been neglected for a long time. You will nee to hold the chlorine ar SLAM value for a long time and you will have to brush the spots a couple of times daily to expose the algae to chlorine.

I would not let the chlorine drop below 20 ppm and I would get a scrub brush with a long handle and go to work. You have a big job but it is doable.

Thanks for the reply.

The pool has not been neglected - I was just following the advice of the kids in the pool store. :-(

For the last 5 years or so when I open the pool it is dark green. This year was the worst by far.

I added a ton of shock the pool store sold me and this is what I was left with. There was nothing on the liner last year and it was just replaced the year before that.

After I got the water clear and vacuumed several times I decided the pool store was not giving me the proper advice, and that's how I ended up on this site.

I'll continue to SLAM.

Any advice on a good brush? I have a 12" brush but it difficult to get to the wall and the joint at the bottom between the wall and floor.

Thanks again for this site! I will NEVER take the advice from the high school kids at the pool store again!

Welcome and glad you found TFP :wave:

The only pool brush for a vinyl pool is nylon; however, the Wall Whale gets rave reviews! :whoot:

You came on here loaded for bear with all the reading you have done, ordering/having the TF100 Test Kit, and already SLAMing the pool!:shock: :goodjob:

btw, the black spots could be copper? Do you know if any was added, maybe thru algaecides?

Skulker,
you can get a nylon brush that fits onto the end of a pool pole at walmart, home depot, lowes, pool store etc. they come in different lengths, usually 18 and 21 inches.
If you dont have the pole, you can get that there too.

The wall whale brush does wonders on the sides. They cost a few dollars more, but is well worth it
If you want a wall whale, you'll likely have to get that online.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I saw the wall whale online and will order it. I already have a pool pole. I'm thinking a 6" brush will help with the bottom joint as well as a scrub brush (nylon) for the ladder.

I don't know about the black spots being copper. The pool store told me to add "Black Algae Out" by Sparco. It doesn't list copper on the bottle but who knows? I only added what they told me. And I was a dummy and did it!

I read a post here that suggested rubbing the black spots with vitamin C to determine if they are metal or not. Once I get rid of the green I'll work on the black.

The reason I use "skulker" is that I tend to lurk and read a lot in the forums before I join. I think I can ask "better questions" that way.

Thanks again for the replies!

Update:

Things are looking much better. I found a nice brush at the local pool store

"Swim Time NA315 Brush Around 360-Degree Wall and Floor Pool Brush"

It's really great for the floor / wall joint in the AG pool. The whale is on the way too.

My chlorine usage has already started to go down. I'm using all my POP. ;-)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.