First Time Vinyl Pool Opening FC/CYA Questions

Jul 2, 2014
Macomb, MI
Hello,
First time opening my pool. I'm just starting to add CYA with a sock in fron tof my return line and had two quick questions. First, is it safe to swim while CYA is being added as long as I tell everyone to stay away from the sock? Second, my pool installer added quite a bit of bleach when they were adding water so right now my FC level is between 5 and 7 (with no CYA), safe to swim at this level? I know it will burn off today since it is super sunny, but of course everyoen wants to use the pool now!

Thanks for your responses.

Yeah, fresh fill should be good to go. I was just assuming all other criteria was met, and it is never good advice to tell other people it is safe to swim. There may always be other factors involved. What you've given me for info, would have me swimming in my pool. I would think the water would still be cold, but hey, you MI people are tough!

Oh, just seen you got heat pump...

Last edited:
Whenever I add Stabilizer to my pool, I squeeze the sock every 15-30 minutes and have yet to see any affect on my hands. I'd go swimming! That said, what I AM very careful of is to avoid inhaling any of the powder dust while pouring it into the sock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.