What is considered to be a dangerously low level of TA for a pebble tech pool?

Fleur

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Our fill TA is usually 120. My PH constantly goes up and because I try to keep it at 7.4 in our AZ climate (sun, dust, wind) + have SWG, I use quite a bit of acid in summer so my TA falls to 60-70.
I do not dispense acid manually anymore, I have Pentair IntelliChem which also has a limit of how much it dispenses at once and how often (mixing time - 1 hour). I hear the pump working and dispensing pretty much every hour in order to keep PH at 7.4.
First time in my life I had to use baking soda to raise my TA to 90, but it seems in a week or so it dropped back to 70. Running around the pool with a baking soda is way better than with an acid, but I could not find any consistent info on what level of TA is acceptable for an established pebble tech pool and at which point I have to worry about a light corrosion, motor corrosion, etc. Does CYA affect TA somehow?

We also have very hard water and high calcium level. I read somewhere that when your calcium is very low or high, it is difficult to balance PH. There is nothing I can do about out fill water unless I decide to invest into a softener just for the pool.
Thanks!

TA can be allowed to go down to 60. You shouldn't let it go lower than that (unless using borates). With high CH levels and a SWG, borates might be a good idea, as they will greatly lessen the odds of calcium scaling in the SWG.

By the by, do you really need the PH that low? If you are countering high CH level, then fine. But otherwise you might have a much simpler time if you allowed PH to settle higher than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.