Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemistry is my worst subject

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemistry is my worst subject

Good morning all...
    I know you all get this a bazillion times but seeing this is just getting started please go easy.

Was gone for the weekend and my family isn't good with pool matters.

last night my FC was <5 and my pH was 7.5

According to the calculator I need to add chlorine, so I added a gallon last night.

FC is off the charts like a SLAM
    and
    pH is >8.5
    CYA is 70

Calculator calls for acid...?
    CYA says replace 57% of my water? Not happening I just refilled the pool last weekend!?!?!?!

WTH!!!!

Help me please...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemistry is my worst subject

The pH test is invalid if FC is above 10. It reacts with the red drops and makes it read falsely high. That's precisely why we suggest adjusting the pH before the SLAM, and then ignore it until FC drops again at the end. So don't add acid until FC drops and you can get a valid pH reading.

Why did you add so much bleach?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Off the charts is not an adequate description of your FC level. Without a full set of test results, and how they were determined it's almost impossible to help you, but yes, your ph may or may not need acid to get it down. A gal of 8.25% should only raise your FC by 4 ppm.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

>5 the scale goes to 5 and stops. Last night it was <.5

- - - Updated - - -

I added liquid chlorine because that was what the calculator called for last evening...

I wasn't intended to slam it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Off the charts is not an adequate description of your FC level. Without a full set of test results, and how they were determined it's almost impossible to help you, but yes, your ph needs acid to get it down.
    I disagree. His pH was 7.5 before overloading with bleach. The pH test results are suspect at best, and almost certainly wrong. Check the pictures and captions in this thread:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...els-with-R-007
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I edited my post, but the point was there's insufficient detail in his test results to give him definitive help. More glaring is there's no cya test. He has a swg so he might not have that running properly either. No telling what his goal is for FC.
    Last edited by timerguy; 07-21-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I hate this tablet keyboard
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    I edited my post, but the point was there's insufficient detail in his test results to give him definitive help. More glaring is there's no cya test. He has a swg so he might not have that running properly either. No telling what his goal is for FC.
    CYA is posted... 70
    CWG is "NOT" running as of yet, 2 more weeks till Pebble Tec cures and the start it up...

Would like my FC 3-4 not sure yet, just learning, thus the post. "Chemistry is my worst subject."

- - - Updated - - -

Those pics help.
    FC is Bright >>>BRIGHT<<< YELLOW not orange
    and the pH is a brighter than 8.2.

- - - Updated - - -

@ TFP EXPERT - so FC should be referred to as bleach...?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by HotAZPool1 View Post
    CYA is posted... 70
    CWG is "NOT" running as of yet, 2 more weeks till Pebble Tec cures and the start it up...

Would like my FC 3-4 not sure yet, just learning, thus the post. "Chemistry is my worst subject."

- - - Updated - - -

Those pics help.
    FC is Bright >>>BRIGHT<<< YELLOW not orange
    and the pH is a brighter than 8.2.

- - - Updated - - -

@ TFP EXPERT - so FC should be referred to as bleach...?
    You're running into the problem with most test kits - they can't measure free chlorine at the levels you need. Remember, for now, yours is a bleach pool, so FC needs to be at minimum 5. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock Your tester maxes out at 5, so you're working blind above that. Bright tweety-bird yellow is about 10, but it could be 7, it could be 14. You just don't know... Adding the FAS-DPD test will close that gap. http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlori...-test-p47.html

FC is not necessarily bleach. When your SWG is running, FC will be generated right inside the cell. It can also come from trichlor or dichlor or Cal-hypo, or Lithium hypochlorite. Bleach just has the fewest unwelcome byproducts. And before you ask - no, there are no powdered chlorine products that don't add something else. More detail here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool

Bottom line, the FC level will drop with time and sunlight, and your pH test should start reading correctly later today.

9. Back To Top    #9

@ Richard - thanks. I had I feeling the FC/Bleach would burn off. But the pH clarification was what I needed. I just didn't want to throw the water chemistry completely out of whack.

10. Back To Top    #10

Is the K-2006 the best(reasonable) kit to purchase?
    Thanks for all the help...
    Dennis

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by HotAZPool1 View Post
    Is the K-2006 the best(reasonable) kit to purchase?
    Thanks for all the help...
    Dennis
    If it's not too late, the TF100 is actually a better deal. The quantities are more realistic. Check out Test Kits Compared.

12. Back To Top    #12

@Richard - nope not too late. I will take your advice.
    Also the chemistry is back to normal this morning,
    FC 5
    pH 7.5
    CYA 40