Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles After Splashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles After Splashing

Something has started happening (or at least increased). Whenever someone splashes in my pool, bubbles rise to the top of the water and fizz for a couple of seconds. It's like my water is carbonated. When I'm under the water level, and I splash my hand in, I can see many small bubbles rising to the top.

What is causing those? I think I've read on here before that they are good. In the past I have not had those, or at least as many.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bubbles After Splashing

Is your pool filled with beer? Mine sort of does that too, we get bubbles on the sides... Not sure why...
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine does not form on the sides, only in the areas where we splash. It will do that when the pump is off, also.
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

Bubble formation is related to the amount of soap-like substances in the water and is inhibited by water hardness (calcium and magnesium).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Bubble formation is related to the amount of soap-like substances in the water and is inhibited by water hardness (calcium and magnesium).
    Before a recent drain/fill of over 2/3 of my water, nothing you could do would make bubbles...the pool had CH around 700. My dad even commented how it "doesn't foam" like the pool we had as a kid. With new water our level is around 325 and we have the bubbles again. Kids like bubbles so I'm glad they're back. =p
    40x20 IG gunite (~36K gallon). 6' attached spa with spillover. AquaLink RS OneTouch + SpaLink + iAquaLink 2.0
    450 sqft Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite single speed pumps (main, spa jets, booster)
    Coverstar Auto Cover, Polaris 280 cleaner, Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, my water hardness is on the low side... But I haven't put any soap-like substances in. I don't use any algaecides, all I put in are chlorine tablets and liquid chlorine.

Are there any other possible causes? Do you interpret this as a good, bad, or doesn't matter type of thing? It literally sounds like someone has opened a bottle of soda every time someone splashes.
    Bobby (my pool)