Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick Question ... filter setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Question ... filter setting

Got 5 inches of rain last night ... pool overflowing ... just backwashed and rinsed (needed to do that anyway) to get water back down to good level ... but looks like we have more rain on the way. What setting should I use to get water out of the pool if I need to remove more today? just waste? Haven't had this problem before ... Thanks!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick Question ... filter setting

You can use the opportunity to vacuum to waste.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately our vacuum is a two person operation ... and I am going it alone today ... someone has to hold the vacuum in the filter or it keeps popping out
    Central NC

4. Back To Top    #4

Any way you can use a spring clamp to hold the hose or something on that order to keep things where they belong?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

The vacuum has a flat plate that fits into the skimmer and it is always becoming dislodged ... I've tried putting it in the skimmer different ways to hold it into place and it still does the same thing. I think I need to ditch the plate and get some sort of PVC reducer to put into the hole in the skimmer, but I just haven't gotten it yet. We have to vacuum so rarely that it just hasn't been an issue ... the robot picks up everything so I just run it once or twice a week. ... I have one of these situations that make fellow pool owners a little jealous LOL!
    Central NC

6. Back To Top    #6

While I was still using the plate in my skimmer, I used a 1lb plastic coffee can filled with sand to hold the plate in place.

If you can plumb in a dedicated vacuum port, there is a cover available from Hayward that I'm planning on buying for mine.

I've also found that I get much better suction to the vacuum with the dedicated port.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll have to think about some sort of weight type thing I can put in there and try that out! ... I haven't had enough coffee to think about plumbing in a dedicated port! LOL ... I think today I might just use the waste setting even if I don't have a vacuum hooked up ... I just didn't want to mess up the sand filter today! I already have a roof leak to fix that made itself known last night!
    Central NC