Cavitation at least I think?

Luca

Jul 21, 2014
Montreal
I have a rather old Jacuzzi LRC15 pool pump, that needed some TLC. It was getting noisy so I set out and replaced the two bearings, which made the motor pretty quite again. Happy with my work I re-installed it, but now it seems to make noise from the wet-end almost as if pebbles are going through it. My Pool is a overground 21' with a 20inch sand filter, I have 1 drain (1.5"), 1 skimmer (1.5"), a no lube 3 way valve, the pipe from the valve to the pump is 1.25' and the pipe from the pump to filter is 1.5', the return is 1.25'. No clue why they used different sizes. Can this be the issue should they all be 1.5'? There is no air in my basket, I made sure to solve all suction leaks before posting(really small bubble in the basket). I don't want to get a complaint from my neighbor, I am at a loss and was planning to buy a 1 hp hayward ultra pro (189$)since I think 1.5hp is overkill in my situation. I will be adding a pool heater next year probably a 50000btu raypak unit.

Thanks for your Help...

Luca

Last edited:
I changed them and the motor hums like it should. And does not vibrate when it's not attached to the wet-end. I also changed the mechanical seal behind the impeller. I need to run the pump dry to see if it is noisy or vibrates. Will have to be careful not to burn it up.
Thanks

Thanks to Sminor for pointing out the rubbing. Thats what happend, maybe I put in in offcenter and it rubbed. I sanded down the rough but I fear it's the end of the line for this pump. Much quieter after removing the melted plastic, wasn't that much put it is now probably unbalanced. This pump is 15+ years old and I don't want to put any more effort in it.

Thanks
Luca

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.