Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool just filled & added chemicals NOW tint of green!!! Help Please!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool just filled & added chemicals NOW tint of green!!! Help Please!

Hi, Just finished filling pool with city water yesterday & completed the required tests for BBB method results were at 11:00am:
    FC 0
    PH 7.0
    TA 30
    CH 30
    CYA 0
    B 0
    Put all the figures into pool math and added exactly the given amounts.

At 7:30pm tested pool again and the results were:
    FC 5
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 30
    CYA 60
    B 10

Just went out this morning 5:30am to check and the pool is clear to bottom but with a shade of green
    tested again and the results are:
    FC 5
    TC 5
    CC 0
    B 10
    PH 7.2
    TA 80
    CYA 90

Please help I'm a newbie and not sure what to do next. ty you for any help given to this matter
    Intex AG Vinyl 18x48, 6,423 gal, Intex 28651 Sand filter, 3200 gph, Install 7/2014, Taylor K-2005 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool just filled & added chemicals NOW tint of green!!! Help Please!

What test kit are you using?

Did you add liquid CYA?

Have you seen the youtube video on the CYA test? Link in my sig.

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You just started the pool, so we need to know exactly what you have put into it to date. I'm surprised at the CYA numbers going up that fast and wonder how much you put in.

The K-2005 test kit in your signature is limited to 5ppm chlorine. You really should pick up a FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test to increase your limit up to 50 for free chlorine and test for combined chloramines. Both of these are required if you are going to follow the TFP methods.

I'm going to guess you have something growing in the pool, but without complete testing it is impossible to know for sure. We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem.

Try to order the test kit addition today if possible and keep the chlorine up until it gets in.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you, I just ordered the test kit & I will keep the chlorine up until it gets here. thank you again.
    Intex AG Vinyl 18x48, 6,423 gal, Intex 28651 Sand filter, 3200 gph, Install 7/2014, Taylor K-2005 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Has the green tint gone away? It sounds like metals in the fill water. A sequestrant should clear that up.

You just started the pool, so we need to know exactly what you have put into it to date. I'm surprised at the CYA numbers going up that fast and wonder how much you put in.
    What have you added to the pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!