Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible Internal Sand filter leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible Internal Sand filter leak

I have a Hayward GM series sand filter 1.2 effective filter area. I notice when I remove the clamp and pull the entire valve body off the tub, the "Main pipe" that goes down into the sand fits loosely onto the valve. I stirred up the sand and reassembled the filter. Upon starting the pump there was a brief discharge of sand. Is it possible that some water can be bypassing the sand and going between the pipe and valve body (where the pipe connects into the body). I noticed the pipe is abrased, where it connects into the valve body. Is there some dye or something I can place into the skimmer to test?
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Possible Internal Sand filter leak

I can not help you with your sand filter problems but I know someone else can. Lets the thread and see if we can get your question answered.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Possible Internal Sand filter leak

There is usually an o-ring in the valve body that seals agains that pipe. Sand shouldn't be getting up that high in normal operation, so that pipe doesn't need a perfect seal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School