RCS outdoor grill rusting after six months

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
One of my friends just had a pool built and an outdoor kitchen installed. He noticed rust starting to appear on his RCS grill and burners, cabinet doors after six months. His pool is a chlorine pool RCS warranty is giving him the run around.
agu9egum.jpg
sy4eture.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of thoughts:

1. Is there muriatic acid anywhere near these grills? I used to store MA in the garage. Even though it was capped and placed in the cardboard box it came in, I noticed rust/surface corrosion appearing on the stainless steel trash can that was somewhat nearby. Now that trash can probably is not made from the highest grade stainless steel, which leads me to the next point...
  2. There are various grades of stainless steel. I have two stainless steel grills and both are at different price points. Both work well from a cooking standpoint, but the difference in price is explained by the grade of stainless steel. The higher-end unit shows no signs of rust/corrosion after 8 years while the other grill has slight corrosion after 6 years. You can try the magnet test. A magnet will not stick to high grade stainless steel. If a magnet sticks to your friend's grill, it is a lower grade of stainless and will be more susceptible to corrosion. On the one grill I have containing the lower grade of stainless, I apply a thin coating of spray cooking oil on it to keep minor rust/corrosion at bay.

Also, I have resorted to storing MA in its own covered (but ventilated) plastic container outside and away from anything else.

Yes the PB installed they reffered him to RCS warranty hotline.

I thought RCS was higher end and only used the heavy duty 304 stainless steel.

I will inquire about the muratic acid.

He tried Mineral Oil yesterday to try and get spots off with no luck.

Just a quick update PB has agreed to replace all rusted components. The Muratic Acid was stored outside behind a wall no where near the kitchen. Guess I will think twice before purchasing RCS.

I plan on purchasing either Bull Grills or Cal Flame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.