Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp and Pool Pilot DIG 220- run times on high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp and Pool Pilot DIG 220- run times on high?

After reading threads, I think I may be running on high too long- typically 7 am - 7 pm. Then the remainder goes on low. It seems I will be ok generating salt on low speed- how do I tell salt generation is adequate- short of looking at dropping CL readings- don't want to risk algae starting.

So, you guys out there running SWG (Pool Pilot) with 2 speed pumps- what can I do to run high speed pump less and feel comfortable about CL protection? What do you guys do- do I need to adjust power settings or output %?

Thanks!
    20x40 In ground Grecian Lazy L- Vinyl
    AutoPilot SWG Dig-220, SC-48
    Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Blue Diamond Robotic Vacuum
    BBB method BABY!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp and Pool Pilot DIG 220- run times on high?

The amount of chlorine produced does depend on how long you run the pump, but does not depend on high speed vs low speed. The SWG either works or it doesn't work on low speed, almost always it will work, depending on your plumbing setup and pump size. Try the SWG out on low speed and if it works, you are fine running on low speed, better really because it uses half the electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp and Pool Pilot DIG 220- run times on high?

You are fine if your low pump speed produces more than the minimum flow rate. I run my AutoPilot at about 35-40gal/minute right now...which is about 350 watts of pumping, vs 900 watts on high at around 44-50 gal/minute.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100