Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Orange Water after shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Orange Water after shocking

I just purchased an AG pool. Installed it as instructed including filter and such. We then again as instructed filled the pool and shocked it and we now have orange water. The water is well water that is quite high in iron. How can I fix the problem. I would like to use the BBB system. The Pool is 10000 gallons according to your pool math.

Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Orange Water after shocking

You'll need to add a sequestrant regularly. From the Pool School article on metals in the water:

"Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive."
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum Santaelf

Please add your pool info into your signature as outlined here - - >

You might want to consider using one or two of these next time you fill the pool and when you need to add water.

I have well water and I don't have a problem with it in the pool but I do in the spa due to the heat. They do work well. Best to shop around on price they can vary quite a bit depending on where you buy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Orange rust is good! It can be filtered out! Scroll down to post 14 in this thread:

Post 23 here:

Once you get most of that out of the water completely, the sequestrant will keep it in suspension. Sequestrants work like the candy shell on M&Ms - the chocolate is still there, but you don't see it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!