Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 test kit question....FAS/DPD test

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 test kit question....FAS/DPD test

Is it possible for the drops to be bigger than they are supposed to be coming out of the 0871 bottle?

Seems like my drops are very big and i'm getting low FC readings.

I cleaned the tip of the bottle and blew off the tip and they seemed to get smaller and now i'm getting FC levels that I expect to have.

I got a FC reading of 5.5 before I cleaned, and 9.5 after i cleaned it.

Does this sound normal or even possible?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF-100 test kit question....FAS/DPD test

That is possible, though quite rare. Almost always if there is a problem it is the other way around, smaller than normal drops.

Cleaning the dropper tip with a damp cloth or tissue is always a good idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

On the topic of drop size, one thing I rarely see mentioned here is the advice to hold the droppers vertically and be consistent with your technique. Some people will hold the droppers at an almost-horizontal angle and a much larger drop forms against the top via cohesion....then later when the bottle is less full they go vertical and get smaller drops. Maybe it's not enough of a difference to impact anything, but it's something I always think about when testing.
    40x20 IG gunite (~36K gallon). 6' attached spa with spillover. AquaLink RS OneTouch + SpaLink + iAquaLink 2.0
    450 sqft Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite single speed pumps (main, spa jets, booster)
    Coverstar Auto Cover, Polaris 280 cleaner, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Vertical is indeed important. Most people get that right without being told, but it is worth mentioning none the less.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've seen where it's important to wipe the tip of a new TA reagent bottle, but don't think I've ever seen that talked about for the r-0871.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

It solves a common problem with the TA test, while it is quite rare that you need to wipe the tip for any of the other tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just kept getting low FC readings and was wondering why. Then I started paying attention to the drops and they just looked bigger than they used to. So I was getting about 1 1/2 drops to every drop. Once I cleaned the tip, everything worked out like I expected. And I had a SUPER high FC reading because I kept adding bleach thinking I was low.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM