salt levels and ph levels

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
ok 2 questions here. how often should i have to put salt in my pool? i put it in when it needs it but i was wondering if 40 lbs a month is normal? and if its not normal how does a pool loose salt?
Secondly, i feel i am adding alot of acid to the pool, like 2 cups every 2-3 days is that normal? thanks for the help

Salt is lost due with water loss other than evaporation. If you're losing more than evaporation, you might have a leak. You can do a bucket test to be sure. If your ph is always high, your ta is probably too high. What is your TA?

as James said salt is only lost through splash out, leaks etc
20lb - 40lb a year is more likely
how are you testing salt,
if you are using the SWG display they read lower if they need cleaning and when failing
this is one test the pool shop isn't too far off on, so can i say it, take a sample to the pool shop but dont buy anything

Depends on your pool shop! Neither of the places I took a sample to find out what my Salt level was was within 600 ppm of what I had put in. My panel/ cell weren't providing accurate numbers either until they sent me a replacement cell which is now showing exactly what my Taylor test kit had been showing all along. After running my swg since March, my salinity had just recently dropped to 3800 ppm from when I overshot my initial salt dump that was 4200. I haven't needed to add salt since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.