Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt levels and ph levels

1. Back To Top    #1

salt levels and ph levels

ok 2 questions here. how often should i have to put salt in my pool? i put it in when it needs it but i was wondering if 40 lbs a month is normal? and if its not normal how does a pool loose salt?
    Secondly, i feel i am adding alot of acid to the pool, like 2 cups every 2-3 days is that normal? thanks for the help
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: salt levels and ph levels

Salt is lost due with water loss other than evaporation. If you're losing more than evaporation, you might have a leak. You can do a bucket test to be sure. If your ph is always high, your ta is probably too high. What is your TA?

3. Back To Top    #3

at last test it was 80
    Thanks Todd.
    15,000 gal. In ground, sand textured with beach area, spa located in beach area with spillover equal to pool level.Rock waterfall with 4 foot drop.Hayward goldline aquaplus automation all wireless remote.T 15 cell,Propane heater,Super 2 for pool/spa,Super 2 for waterfall.Cartridge filter and solar panels.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest letting it go down to about 60.

5. Back To Top    #5

as James said salt is only lost through splash out, leaks etc
    20lb - 40lb a year is more likely
    how are you testing salt,
    if you are using the SWG display they read lower if they need cleaning and when failing
    this is one test the pool shop isn't too far off on, so can i say it, take a sample to the pool shop but dont buy anything
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends on your pool shop! Neither of the places I took a sample to find out what my Salt level was was within 600 ppm of what I had put in. My panel/ cell weren't providing accurate numbers either until they sent me a replacement cell which is now showing exactly what my Taylor test kit had been showing all along. After running my swg since March, my salinity had just recently dropped to 3800 ppm from when I overshot my initial salt dump that was 4200. I haven't needed to add salt since.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter