Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck-O-Joint failing on patio and coping-tile joint

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck-O-Joint failing on patio and coping-tile joint

Hey all,

My Deck-o-**** on my patio and a similar product between the concrete coping and waterline tile is failing (see pics) and I need some advice on how to repair it.

Patio flat sections:
    I have seen here where Sikaflex sl (self leveling) is recommended. Obviously this is only for more or less horizontal surfaces. How runny is this stuff? The concrete is graded toward the middle and down to a drain. Is it thick enough that it only flows to level locally and wont all run to the center?

My thought here is to use a multi-tool to remove what I can, clean out as much as possible, use backer rod for deep areas and then Sikaflex Sl. Anything more to it than that?

Vertical coping-tile joint:
    What do I use here? Is there a recommended Sikiflex product that can be applied to vertical surfaces? Any advice here is welcome.

Bull nose end section:
    These are all in pretty good shape so I will probably leave them in place. If I did want to replace these is it even possible (and have it look good)?

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck-O-Joint failing on patio and coping-tile joint

Nobody has any thoughts on this?
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I used sikaflex on my deck. I have a 1 inch slope per 4 ft. The sikaflex does flow a bit down hill just a bit but no so much that a normally sloped deck would be problematic. You would do good to fill the joint about 3/4 way, and then go back over it again the next day to finish it off after round 1 has set up. Thats what I did.

If you have a joint that falls off the edge of the deck, you will need to put a piece of duct tape or gorilla tape on it to make a dam so the sikaflex doesnt run out of the joint and onto the ground.

As wide as your joints are, you will need to put foam backer rod into them so you dont need so much caulk.

I dont know of a product for the vertical surface over the coping. The sikaflex I used wouldnt work for that part of it.

Thats about as much info as I can offer
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Usually a polyurethane caulk is used between the tile and coping. I can not remember the name of the products though ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Usually a polyurethane caulk is used between the tile and coping. I can not remember the name of the products though ...
    Is it MasterSeal NP 1 Sealant (Formerly Sonolastic NP 1)?

6. Back To Top    #6

No. One is DECK-O-SEAL ONE STEP ... but there may be better alternatives.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

For the vertical coping application I have seen people mention:

• MasterSeal NP 1 (Formerly Sonolastic NP 1)
    • Sikaflex 1a
    • Vulkem 911
    • Vulkem 116
    • Deck-O-Seal One Step

Any inputs on these as to best for this application, easiest to use, longest lasting, cheapest, etc? Any others?

8. Back To Top    #8

So after a bunch more research I ordered MasterSeal NP-1 for the pool coping/tile joint and Vulkem 45 SSL for the concrete expansion joints.

I also ordered backer rod and Scotch 2060 masking tape for hard-to-stick surfaces.

I will post updates one I start the project.

9. Back To Top    #9

Please update us when you start the project. Iam in a similar situation with the coping to deck joint in need of a lot of caulking.

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

10. Back To Top    #10

I did the first chunk of the coping/tile gap yesterday. Picture is of one of the wider gaps. I am pretty happy with the way it came out. It took a lot longer to prep than I thought (backer rod and masking) although I think it will go faster now that I have the hang if it. I eventually gave up in using backer rod on the narrowest gaps (1/8" or less) as it was impossible to get it in.

11. Back To Top    #11

Which product did you use?
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

12. Back To Top    #12

As I said a few posts ago I used MasterSeal NP-1 for the pool coping/tile joint.

I got Vulkem 45 SSL for the expansion joints but haven't started that part of the project yet.

13. Back To Top    #13

Finished up the project. Here are some pics of the expansion joint fix.

First used a chisel to finish breaking off the top layer which was about 50% destroyed by the Sun:

Then used a multimax tool to remove the sides, and then cleaned well with a wire brush:

Used bond-breaker tape on the bottom to avoid three sided adhesion, filled any wide gaps with backer rod, and masked the ends. Applying the 45ssl sealant was the fastest and easiest part of the whole project.

14. Back To Top    #14

Before and after:

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow! Thanks for the pictures!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

16. Back To Top    #16

Nice job. I'm going to have to do the same thing down the road.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida