Followed "Green Swamp Back to Sparkling Oasis" instructions,still green. Suggestions?

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
Followed "Green Swamp Back to Sparkling Oasis" instructions,still green. Suggestions?

I got back from vacation to a green pool. My neighbor noticed it was cloudy on Monday and turned green on Thursday. He measured 0 FC, so he added 2.5 gal bleach 6%. He also (incorrectly) measured 0 stabilizer so he added 2 lb, raising my stabilizer from 70 to 80?

When I got back Saturday afternoon, the FC was 2.0. The pump pressure had risen from 11 to 15 so I backwashed the filter and started to SLAM. Based on my stabilizer of 70, I need FC ~27 based on the chart? (6 gal of 10.8%). Brushed 4 times over 4 hours. FC was 28 at midnight and fell to 25 when I got up this morning. Interestingly, <1 CC. I checked the stabilizer again and it does seem to be 70-80 (I can only use the strips since it's too cloudy to use the see-the-dot test. I've been keeping the FC at 30 all day and brushing hourly, but it doesn't seem to be changing from green to grey. I even vacuumed to waste for a bit, losing 2" of water so now I'm refilling.

Now: pH 7.4, FC 30, CC 1, CYA 75?, TA 80, CH 175, Borate 0.

(I've used about $100 worth of chlorine. I'm wondering if I should just buy one of those hth green to blue kits. But reading about green-to-blue, it just seems like part 1 is 2-3 lbs of ca hypochlorite, and I've added much more chlorine than that without really killing the algae.)

The other thing is that on vacation, I finally picked up borate test strips (not available in Canada that I could find) and I was all ready with 15 boxes of borax and 4 gal of acid to add borates to my pool. I'm wondering if I should add the borates now and if that would help clear up the algae, or add the leftover algecide I use for my winter pool cover.

Attaching pics, but it doesn't look too bad in the pictures, green is in the deep end and I can barely see my main drain. But when I brush the shallow end after a few hours, I think I can see a tiny bit of algae being brushed down into the deep end.

Thanks, Tim

Attachments

• P1040358.jpg
    P1040358.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P1040356.jpg
    P1040356.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 63
Re: Followed "Green Swamp Back to Sparkling Oasis" instructions,still green. Suggesti

It is going to take more than one day, though you caught it before it went full on swamp. I would hold off on the borates, for sure, and SLAM until you meet all three criteria. Beautiful pool, BTW!

Re: Followed "Green Swamp Back to Sparkling Oasis" instructions,still green. Suggesti

You are getting there, slowly perhaps, but it looks like you are nearly done. Sand filters can take a while to clear up dead algae. Run the pump 24/7 and backwash as needed. You should see some visible improvement day to day, even if very small. If you aren't seeing any improvement, then we need to look deeper.

"I'm wondering if I should just buy one of those hth green to blue kits." - - - You can but I'm near positive it won't make a dent. Other people have tried it and ended up here using bleach to fix their problem.

It's usually recommended to complete the SLAM before you do a borate addition.

You should pull the ladder and check under the steps to see if you might have some "green" hiding there. Scrub them good and rinse. If you have a light in the pool, same thing. You need to pull it and clean the niche it sits in really well.

If you don't have a timer on your pool this would be a really good reason to get one.

Looks like you're nearly done. Keep the FC at shock level, brush a lot and run the filter 24/7. Save the algaecide for closing; it's a preventative product, not a cure. It won't do any good now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.