Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bird problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Bird problem

Does anyone have a good way of keeping birds off the pool ledge and solar cover, they are making a mess. (cutting the trees down is not an option!!!).

Thanks
    Doughboy 16x28x52" Oval Semi-inground 2'
    1.5HP single speed Doughboy Powerline
    10,000gal. Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bird problem

Put up a bird bath for them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    Put up a bird bath for them.
    Thats probably a good solution... they are probably just looking for water to drink and bathe
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

4. Back To Top    #4

Rubber snakes!
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

5. Back To Top    #5

Ha, Ha, ..........good one....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmacdad12 View Post
    Rubber snakes!

6. Back To Top    #6

Putting up some string above head level will usually keep birds away. They don't like going places where there are obstructions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Good suggestions... I get birds landing on the side of my pool and making a mess on the rails and down the sides as well... drives me nuts bc its hard to wash off without washing it into the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If you're looking for less than lethal options, the string is the most effective thing I've seen. Some use fishing line.

If it's legal and you don't have moral/ethical problems with killing them. It has been witnessed that taking a few out has a way of deterring others.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

Another option is to be pennants and string them up near the pool for a week or so. We bought some at Ace Hardware and they stayed away for a long time. I know you can also buy a floating dolphin that has a weighted bottom and it moves around the pool, birds don't like that either. These are the two solutions that have worked for us in the past.
    22k gallons AG 30ft round, Hayward 2 speed 2hp motor, cartridge filter, Aquabot Rover Jr, Sunheater solar heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

They sell blow up snakes which you can let float and move around in the water or get rubber ones and leave them on the edge. My last AGP pool we had one of those large green blow up allegators which floats and moves around which kept ducks out. I also heard fake owls work.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

11. Back To Top    #11

I tried the string and it didn't work. I bought pinwheels and mounted them on the rails of the pool and it works. 2 years and poop free.

12. Back To Top    #12

They sell those automatic owls. Being in the sign business I know that these work pretty good. They work like a motion detector and the head moves when it detects motion
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer