Questions about killing algae

Zindar, Do NOT stop the SLAM. You are not finished.

When your water looks like this:

You lose less than 1FC over night...

AND your CC's are .5 or less...

Then, and only then should you stop the SLAM.

Keep the filter running, brush and sweep the pool daily and backwash when the pressure raises 25% over normal pressure and get some POP (Pool Owner Patience). Also the sun can burn CC's off the pool too so you need to take that into acct. It will also chew up your FC but you have to remember, you are running a higher than normal CYA level.

My wife, son, and I went swimming yesterday, and I hadn't seen the above message, so I'd concluded I passed all the tests, so I didn't add bleach yesterday. As of 7:45am yesterday I was at

FC 24.5-25
CC 0.5

With no bleach added at all, here we are over 24 hours later, at 8:30 am, and my measurements are

FC 20
CC 0.5

Not much of a drift, it looks like to me. And yesterday was quite hot and sunny, and the water looks darned clear this morning. That tiny bit of residue I vacuumed up yesterday morning has not reappeared. By the way, my filter pressure has gone up about 10% since my last backwash (which I did right before the SLAM started), so it sounds like it's too soon for another backwash.

PostAlgaeKilling_zps6272846b.jpg

Okay, I just posted a pic of my pool this morning. Admittedly it doesn't look as clear as yours, but the son is low in the sky, and not striking my water or lighting it up, so I'm thinking some of the lower clarity could be due to lack of good lighting.

(On another note, it looks like you and I have the same type of steps in our pools.)

Okay, as of this morning, my free chlorine has finally dropped below the target value. (I haven't added bleach in like 8 days now - it took that long for it to dissipate.)

I'm not sure if this is the thread to post my followup questions or not, as they don't specifically pertain to algae.

I decided to do another full set of readings now that I don't have shock level chlorine anymore, and came up with this:

Code:
	reading		target, according to TFP
--	---------	------------------------
FC	6.5		5 to 7
CC	0.5 - 1.0
CYA	60		30 to 50
PH	7.0 - 7.1	7.5 to 7.8
CH	100		50 to 300
TA	60		70 to 90+
borates	40		50?

Also, the water does look crystal clear.

On the free chlorine, the chart says 5 is the minimum, and 7 is the target. I'm guessing the correct strategy is that in the morning, I should boost it to 7 to allow for up to 2 parts fall off during the day. Is that correct? So, since I was at 6.5, I added less than a cup of bleach this morning, to boost it to 7.0

My PH seems to have fallen over the last 8 days, even though I hear PH tends to migrate upwards. In fact, in my last pool I was constantly adding muriatic acid, but that was a plaster pool, and this one's vinyl. So, am I correct to assume this won't self correct, and that I should add something to boost the PH? I assume my other readings are okay. By the way, I still have some proteam supreme onhand, and since my borates still aren't quite up to 50, I could add a little, and that would boost my PH, but I'm not sure if it will boost it enough though, so maybe I should add something different. What can I add that won't boost the borates too high, as I read on this forum that I shouldn't go above 50 ppm?

For the PH, should I aim for the middle of the range, which would be 7.65?

Also, in my TF-100 kit, there is a daily chlorine and PH test, but the top of the scale for chlorine is 5.0, yet TFP says that with my CYA of 60, I should aim for 5 to 7 on my chlorine, which depending on the answer to my first question above, means anything below 7 means I should add bleach. Does this mean my daily TF-100 test is unusable? That would be a raw deal.

I need to add this new information: As of a day or two ago, I just ordered an intex SWG, so hopefully within the next week or so, I can get that thing installed. I bring that up, because maybe it affects people's opinions on what adjustments I should make to the pool levels I just posted.

I also assume that means I need to get a salt test so that I know if I have the correct amount of salt in the pool. Does anybody have a recommendation on which salt test kit to get? And when I buy salt, can I use the same salt I've been getting for my water conditioner? I've been getting 40 pound bags of salt from the grocery store for that.

Replies in red.
Okay, as of this morning, my free chlorine has finally dropped below the target value. (I haven't added bleach in like 8 days now - it took that long for it to dissipate.)

I'm not sure if this is the thread to post my followup questions or not, as they don't specifically pertain to algae.

Post them here.

I decided to do another full set of readings now that I don't have shock level chlorine anymore, and came up with this:

Code:
	reading		target, according to TFP
--	---------	------------------------
FC	6.5		5 to 7
CC	0.5 - 1.0
CYA	60		30 to 50
PH	7.0 - 7.1	7.5 to 7.8
CH	100		50 to 300
TA	60		70 to 90+
borates	40		50?

Also, the water does look crystal clear.

On the free chlorine, the chart says 5 is the minimum, and 7 is the target. I'm guessing the correct strategy is that in the morning, I should boost it to 7 to allow for up to 2 parts fall off during the day. Is that correct? So, since I was at 6.5, I added less than a cup of bleach this morning, to boost it to 7.0
You need to monitor you daily chlorine consumption and boost to whatever FC that ensures you do not drop below 5 at the end of the day.

My PH seems to have fallen over the last 8 days, even though I hear PH tends to migrate upwards. In fact, in my last pool I was constantly adding muriatic acid, but that was a plaster pool, and this one's vinyl. This may be interference from your FC levels. So, am I correct to assume this won't self correct, and that I should add something to boost the PH? With that TA level, you probably would not see much swing in your pH level. You can afford to continue monitoring it, but you can also afford to increase the pH slightly. I assume my other readings are okay. By the way, I still have some proteam supreme onhand, and since my borates still aren't quite up to 50, I could add a little, and that would boost my PH, but I'm not sure if it will boost it enough though, so maybe I should add something different. What can I add that won't boost the borates too high, as I read on this forum that I shouldn't go above 50 ppm? You can add washing soda (sodium carbonate / soda ash) to increase pH. It will increase TA slightly, but in any case your TA is slightly below the recommendations.

For the PH, should I aim for the middle of the range, which would be 7.65?
Aim for 7.5 and monitor.

Also, in my TF-100 kit, there is a daily chlorine and PH test, but the top of the scale for chlorine is 5.0, yet TFP says that with my CYA of 60, I should aim for 5 to 7 on my chlorine, which depending on the answer to my first question above, means anything below 7 means I should add bleach. Does this mean my daily TF-100 test is unusable? That would be a raw deal.
At higher levels, the daily test (OTO) turns various shades of yellow and orange. It does not differentiate FC and CC, but you can compare the colours on the OTO with the readings you get using FAS-DPD to get a general idea. I would recommend you use both tests the first few days to get an idea of your pool's appetite, then you can afford to test on alternate days using FAS-DPD. If it sounds too confusing, please forget that I ever made that suggestion.

I need to add this new information: As of a day or two ago, I just ordered an intex SWG, so hopefully within the next week or so, I can get that thing installed. I bring that up, because maybe it affects people's opinions on what adjustments I should make to the pool levels I just posted.

pH tends to rise with an SWG. You may not have to actively raise your pH.

I also assume that means I need to get a salt test so that I know if I have the correct amount of salt in the pool. Does anybody have a recommendation on which salt test kit to get? And when I buy salt, can I use the same salt I've been getting for my water conditioner? I've been getting 40 pound bags of salt from the grocery store for that.
Yes, recommended pool chemicals states you can use water softener salt. Also, if you have kids, you can hold diamond day (post #5).

Thank you for all those useful answers. Today, surprisingly my chlorine didn't drop at all, and my ph came in a hair higher.

FC 7.0
CC 0.5
PH 7.1

So I added no bleach, and I added just a modest amount of protean supreme, and tomorrow I'll see how the ph level responds.

Also, that Diamond day idea is neat. My son love swimming underwater, and he might get a kick out of it.

Sweet: tracking info shows that the SWG has been delivered. It'd be nice to get it installed this weekend, but I won't know until I open the box and look through it, what parts (like piping and unions) I need to get from Home Depot.

Still, zero drop in FC chlorine with 0 - 0.5 CC. So that's two consecutive days of no drop in FC, and with no adding of bleach by me. I think the highs are around 90 right now, but I think it's been cloudy, so maybe that's the reason. It just caught me by surprise, as I expected some kind of FC drop. (It still stands at 7.0, which is the target level for CYA=60.)

My PH only barely rose in response to my borates, so I'm probably going to the store today to buy washing soda. I've never seen washing soda or have any familiarity with it, but googling it, I found this image:

ArmandHammer.jpg

I assume this product would achieve a PH rise in my pool. I wonder if my local grocery store would sell this in the laundry aisle. Googling, I see that Walmart sells it, but I was just curious if grocery stores do too. I looks like the box shown is a lot more than I need, but I think it only costs a few dollars.

Edit: I just remembered Abigail's "recommended chemicals" link, and I see it answers all my questions. My pic above appears to be exactly correct, and the link even says many large grocery stores sell it.

Yes, as long as your pool pH is somewhere in the 7's it is okay to perform whatever operations you wish to perform.

Mostly our fault, but we are allowing you to overthink this whole process so let's get it done correctly.

Borates are an optional item that does (for now) nothing but continue to confuse you and will contribute to your never gaining the knowedge to get you pool fixed. You likely should discuss borates again for 2-3 weeks or more......you have much bigger fish to fry.

I know this is a harsh sounding thread but I am reading too many misunderstandings about your pool water and if you will follow that SLAM article precisely, you will get the help you need.

I have bigger fish to fry? I already completed the slam, and as far as I know, once I add a little washing soda (the local grocery store apparently doesn't sell it, so I'm going to Walmart), my chemistry will all be fine. My water is still sparkling clear, by the way.
Also, I'm now going on three days, and my FC is holding steady at 7.0, even though I've added no bleach. This seems surprising to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: finally some movement.

FC 5.5
CC 0.0

Plus it's nice to have absolutely zero CC. So I'm finally now for the first time in several weeks adding Chlorine tabs in an attempt to slightly boost my CYA, but I know to be very careful about that, so that I don't over boost it.

Plus I read here there's a one week delay before the test drops register the change, so I can see how over boosting could happen.

Oh, I have a minor question regarding the washing soda. Where should I store the part I haven't used? I store my chlorine bleach in the house, because I hear that chlorine breaks down if exposed to light or heat. But is the washing soda that fragile? If I had my choice, I'd store it in a cabinet I have on my covered patio in the backyard, but it would be subject to temperature and humidity extremes (Austin weather), so I don't know if that's recommended.

Update: From this thread, I infer that I could store the washing soda out there, as long as I put it in a sealed container. I'll have to see if I have some container like that.

Algae mystery question:

The water is still very clear, but I'm seeing small amounts of residue forming on the bottom; some of it a little greenish. But since my last SLAM, I have never let the FC drop below 5. Furthermore, my CC is zero. This morning my readings were

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.2

Algae should be impossible to grow in my chlorine conditions, and if it were growing, I'd expect CC not to be zero. Does anybody have any explanation for this?

On another note, about 2 days ago, I added washing soda, as my PH was 7.2. The next morning (i.e. 2 days ago) it measured in at 7.5 (good). Today it's back down to 7.2, so I just added more washing soda. Can PH be migrating down on its own like that? We haven't had any rain this week.

By the way, I've been using chlorine pucks to increase my CYA, which was 60. I want to boost it to at least 70 so I can start using my SWG. Only one puck has dissolved so far, so I assume my CYA is still close to 60

So I guess tomorrow, I'll be vacuuming the pool, and take a closer look to make sure this is algae, which I'm pretty sure it is, from the looks of it (even though the water is clear).

If so, I guess I have to do another SLAM.

How do I prevent this from happening again? As I say, I've been maintaining the chlorine level (at 5 or greater). Can algae really grow in such an environment?

I just took another look at the pool, and the water is still clear, but now I can see bits of green forming in the crannies on the side of my steps. I guess I need to remove the steps and and clean them and do another SLAM.

I'm still confused how this happened... maybe 5 ppm of chlorine isn't enough, despite what the CYA chart told me.

Anyway, I wonder if this might be a good time to make use of my dicholor shock, since I want the CYA slightly raised anyway. The last I checked I was at 60 on the CYA, and I need 70-80 before putting my SWG into production. I've dissolved at most one chlorine puck since then, if that much, so I'm probably not over 64 at the moment.

I have about 1.5 pounds of dichloro shock on hand. The Active ingredient is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, dihydrate. 99%. 1% is "other ingredients". Is it that 1% that contains CYA? CYA is not listed on the ingredients. If it does contain CYA, can somebody tell me how much CYA is contained in 1.5 pounds of my shock?

I have about 1.5 pounds of dichloro shock on hand. The Active ingredient is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, dihydrate. 99%. 1% is "other ingredients". Is it that 1% that contains CYA? CYA is not listed on the ingredients.
Nope, the 99% is about 50% CYA. Pool Math says it will raise your FC by 13ppm and CYA by 12ppm.

Last edited:
I just vacuumed and brushed the pool, and after a struggle, removed the heavy steps from the pool. My latest measurements:

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.6 - 7.65
CH 100
TA 105
CYA 65
borates 40

I probably don't want to use too much of the dichloro... as I have just a bag and a half, maybe I'll just use the half pound that's in the open bag, and do the rest with bleach. (I don't want to overdo the CYA.) I almost have enough bleach on hand to bring it to shock level, but I think I'm just short, so I need to go shopping first before I start the SLAM process.

I just turned off the chlorine puck chlorinator, so as not to confuse the readings during SLAMing, but I still remain mystified why I got algae, when I've been maintaining 5 or greater parts of chlorine, as this site recommends.

I just turned off the chlorine puck chlorinator, so as not to confuse the readings during SLAMing, but I still remain mystified why I got algae, when I've been maintaining 5 or greater parts of chlorine, as this site recommends.
If you are referring to what you wrote in this post, the algae may be growing in areas of poor circulation. With an above-ground pool of your size it might only have a single return and could have terrible bottom circulation. You can try pointing the return downwards diagonally to create a swirling action with the round pool. Also, thoroughly brush the area with the algae and note also that it could be pollen instead. If you can capture any of it, then algae tends to be slimy while pollen is squishy and dirt/rock gritty. Looking under a microscope is the definitive way to know for sure.

Thank you for this interesting information. I indeed have only one jet, and I have it pointed straight sideways. The green residue forms mostly on the floor near the perimeter and in the indentations on my pool steps.

I'll definitely try moving the jet more downwards like you suggested.

I should have felt it before I vacuumed it, but I didn't, so I don't know what texture it was.

So if its just pollen, I assume SLAMing isn't called for, and just a simple vacuuming?

Still, in my case. The fact that some was forming in indentations may suggest algae. In fact when I removed the steps, I saw some underneath, and I wouldn't expect pollen to get down there. But I bet there's poor circulation down there under the steps. I suspect a simple ladder wouldn't have that type of circulation problem. Furthermore, I'd only been pumping 4 hours a day, which I bet could contribute to poor circulation.

So you're saying that even with the proper amount of chlorine, algae is possible if the circulation is poor? Maybe the chorine I was adding was mostly near the surface, and the bottom had less chlorine? I guess that could explain things then.

I hope repointing the jet, and maybe adding extra pumping time will solve things.

Zindar, I also have an above ground pool with only 1 return jet. I compensate for this by brushing as often as I can. I "try" to do it every day because it takes less than 5 minutes. However in practice I probably only brush 4 times a week. I had the same problems you are describing before I started the continuous brushing. I even had some serious black organic staining on my floor which is slowly going away. I also throw the Diver Dave vacuum in at least 3 times a week. I think he really helps the circulation as he travels along and sucks from the bottom.
Good Luck you are on the right track with TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.