Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best time to add chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Best time to add chlorine

Hi All

Is there a ideal time to add chlorine in a pool for daily maintenance? I typically add in the morning when the sun is on the pool and while my pump is running.

Would the evening when the sun is down be better? If so would I also have to run the pump at the same time?

Thanks

17500 Gallons, IG, Plaster, DE Filter, Built 1997, No Spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best time to add chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by onedah View Post
    Hi All

Is there a ideal time to add chlorine in a pool for daily maintenance? I typically add in the morning when the sun is on the pool and while my pump is running.

Would the evening when the sun is down be better? If so would I also have to run the pump at the same time?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Generally most believe that it is a little better to add in the evening when the sun is off the pool and you have sufficient pump time left for the chlorine to get circulated (30 - 60 minutes). This way you have all night for the highest levels of chlorine to oxidize whatever organics are in the pool without the additional FC loss from the sun.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Whenever the pump is on and it works for you. If you try to do it at an inconvenient time, it might not get done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I add mine at night. The pump is on then and it's a good time for me. The sun is also off the pool then and it has the full chlorine addition for the next day's onslaught. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.