Hello, first post. bad way to start off. I've been reading and using the site for about 3 months. In this post I'm going to cut right to the issues.
New FG pool, we started with city water and it took several weeks to get it up and running due to 2400 sf of pavers. I've been using the TF100 kit since it started, and working on getting the water balanced. Because it matters and it will come up soon, here are my latest results.
TA 90 (was 160)
PH 7.2 (was 7.6-7.)
This last week I decided to start walking down the TA, using the muriatic acid and aeration method. found it on here and many other places. Did one gallon tues, then one gallon thurs. that was going well. But here is where things get weird.
10 days ago we had 5" of rain, small set back. added salt etc. but looking back now, about every day last week it seemed like it wanted another 100 ppm. like 3300 went to 3200 etc, I would brush in 2-4 lbs, (1/3 of a coffee can) in the shallow end each night. I did not think much of it, but it kept heading towards 3000. I was gunning for 3300-3400, seems I read in here to shoot for a couple hundred on the high side.
Well, Friday it got weird. the Auqapure 1400 started saying high salt, 9800 ppm (the most I have added since we opened it was 80lbs, so it has 400lbs total in it and the hot tub. when I turn it off for a while and back on, you see the salt read 3000, then 2900, then 2800... then it sets three codes. High salt, low salt, and HH. And the system does it on the spa as well, which has separate valves and water. and I am not even balancing it yet, heater is not commissioned due to propane and city inspector, another story.
I plan to get a store test today, my first, and it will be a joke but I need for the warranty people and pool people to take me serious Monday. I am positive the salt is in range.
When I was doing the acid, the first night I did the "pool method" dumped it in the deep end and let it sit 30 mins. then after more research I found where the pool method or mix it in, accomplish the exact same thing in an hour of pump running. and I gotta say I got the same reduction of TA doing it both ways. I do not feel by anymeans that the cell saw a high concentration of the acid, but it could have been on. I have not been good about turning the cell to 0% while doing things. As for the salt, the shallow end is 40' from the returns, and when adding a small amount down there and brushing I though I could get away with that.
I do have cheesy salt strips, and they say the salt is really low, like 1600 ppm. I don't belive them at all. So the store trip will be worth it to check the salt level.
I did take the generator out last night, nothing on the sensor, and the cells looked clear and clean.