TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This is probably going to be a dumb newbie question. . .

I have a Hayward SWG and understand that the SWG% is basically for runtime of the SWG.

But - as salt levels go down over time in the pool, do I need to run the SWG longer (Bump up the %) to compensate for that? Basically, is the SWG making less chlorine, at the same SWG% level, as the salt in our water goes down over time? I have to ASSUME the answer is less, as less salt is passing through the unit. I'm running higher this year on the SWG%, and that's my assumption as to why.

Last year was the first year for the pool and the builder dropped in (As per the SWG) about 4200PPM. JUST below the threshold for the Hayward to stop making salt I believe. After a season and half, we're now down to 3800PPM.

What I do...buy more salt. My ppm requirements are different than yours, but I like to keep the salt cell happy. I run in the middle to higher numbers of the requirements. As I understand, it's easier on the cell, making the life of it longer. Hope that helps. I keep an extra bag or two in the garage, & pour some in the pool when necessary. It's dissolved in a few hours.

The AquaRite does not compensate the chlorine production for the salt level change. Lower salt level means lower chlorine production. The percent setting remains a constant so the chlorine production will effectively go down with salt level but it would be proportional to the salt level change. So going from 4200 to 3800 would only be a 10% change in production. The unit, however, compensates the salt readout for temperature change.

Please do be aware that salt levels seem to be a moving target:

SWG might say 3200 PPM - using "instant salt"**, test trips 2800 PPM, Leslies 3500 PPM... You can easily oversalt your pool with erroneous readings.

I'd take them all and average them.

** scroll through the menu using the button until you get to "Instant salinity" - Push # 5, I think - then turn the switch off and on to get a "fresh" reading. The one you see on the screen when it runs normally is an average. AND, this is dependent on how clean the cell is - on mine, if begins to clog the salt reading goes down. :eek:

Hope this helps.

The only salt level that really matters is the instantaneous salt from the SWG. This is what the SWG "thinks" is the salt level so that is the only one that matters to the SWG. The only time an actual salt measurement is required is when you suspect a failing cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.