Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: buying an older model aquarite salt system

1. Back To Top    #1

orange county, california

buying an older model aquarite salt system

I'm looking to add a salt generator to my pool. I was looking to save money, and found one from craigslist, and need an opinion.
    A guy is selling an older, unused, aqua rite system with t-15 cell for about 500 dollars, is this a good deal?
    Is there any way to test this to make sure it works?
    Assuming it works, is there any downsides to the older generation systems?
    I do NOT plan on integrating it to automation, so thats aside.
    Thanks for any help.

15,000 gallon in-ground freeform pebble-tech plaster built in '99
    Pentair Intelliflow 3hp variable speed pump & 2hp whisperflo for waterfalls
    Aqualink RS4 with intellicom adapter
    Pentair 4000 SMBW 30sq.ft. DE Filter
    Pentair Minimax 400 heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: buying an older model aquarite salt system

As long as it really is in like new condition, go for it. The current Internet price for a new control box and cell is around $900.

The older units will only work with the T-15 cell, and not any of the newer cell designs. That isn't much of an issue as the T-15 is extremely common and a good choice regardless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: buying an older model aquarite salt system

You could at least test the cell at a pool store. Also, you might wire a plug to the main unit to see if it will power up. Doesn't guarantee full operation but would give at least some confidence that it works.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner