CYA 500 ppm!!

Hmm...so you post test results that indicate your pool should be a green cesspool of algae but yet you described it as clean and clear in the first few posts. I bet despite the high CYA number that if you kept your FC at 5 or above you would not get an algae bloom...we have special water here in Tucson. Why not relax and try that experiment and then do a big water replacement when the cooler months arrive? Otherwise you're looking at a 90%+ replacement in the dead heat of summer.

Oh one thing I forgot to follow up on. You mentioned asking Leslies about liquid chlorine. I know some of them have it but its like $5 a gallon. We were buying the 8.25% unscented bleach from Walmart but my wife found in the garden section at Walmart they have 10% liquid chlorine that was I believe $6.50 for 2 gallons. So that seems to be the best deal that is convenient. Only other cheaper option I've heard that the Economy Pools place has 12.5% stuff for about $3.50 a gallon when you buy 4 gallon bundles but that's a long trip for me.

I've been waiting to see this! Just curious, did you try a 5:1 sample? Jumping to 9:1 may have been too much. I'd say between 400-450 is probably a better number.

The CYA test is a bit subjective. Doing it at night in artificial lighting is admittedly non-optimal. After the 4:1 test, I had a leftover sample of diluted water, the easiest next dilution was 1:1 which resulted in my 9:1. I have every intention of repeating the test in better lighting conditions. That might have to wait for the weekend at this point (work stuff.....)

I won't argue the number, either way the answer is still "way too darn high".

Hmm...so you post test results that indicate your pool should be a green cesspool of algae but yet you described it as clean and clear in the first few posts.

Still is. I linked pictures from a couple days ago. It's one of the nicest pools I've swam in. No odor, no cloudiness, easy on the eyes.

I bet despite the high CYA number that if you kept your FC at 5 or above you would not get an algae bloom...we have special water here in Tucson. Why not relax and try that experiment and then do a big water replacement when the cooler months arrive? Otherwise you're looking at a 90%+ replacement in the dead heat of summer.

This is the way I'm leaning at the moment.

It is interesting that the math says my pool should be a cesspool, but it's actually a sparkling oasis. Leading thought is that the previous caretaker applied unknown quantities of unspecified algaecides and that I'm sitting on a hand grenade waiting for it to go off.

But my pool is not sterile - I did find a tiny bit of green algae under the o-ring in the leaf catcher.... Countdown to boom....

Oh one thing I forgot to follow up on. You mentioned asking Leslies about liquid chlorine. I know some of them have it but its like $5 a gallon. We were buying the 8.25% unscented bleach from Walmart but my wife found in the garden section at Walmart they have 10% liquid chlorine that was I believe $6.50 for 2 gallons. So that seems to be the best deal that is convenient. Only other cheaper option I've heard that the Economy Pools place has 12.5% stuff for about $3.50 a gallon when you buy 4 gallon bundles but that's a long trip for me.

That's the chlorine I've been using at the moment. Have a minor fear that it's seasonable availability at wally world, so I was price shopping looking for stronger/cheaper and consistently available. I spoke to E-Konomy yesterday. Probably headed that way later this week to get a couple cases. Yesterday I was quoted $3.49 a gallon for minimum 13% chlorine plus a $6 deposit (per 4 gallons) on the packaging. Their acid was $4.75 a gallon with the same deposit. The chlorine is just about the same price as the walmart brand. But the acid is a couple bucks cheaper than anyplace else I've found. (been buying $9.99 for 2 gallons of 15%, just found $11.95 for 2 gallons of 31.5% at the hardware store)

Currently doing the math to see how much I have to buy at a time to justify the cost of driving 25 miles each way... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.