Pump run time vs. SWG % setting

simste01

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2014
Huntington, IN
So I've found a balance point running the SWG at 40% and the pump 12 hours a day (a seven hour period and a five hour period). FC is 7 to 7.5 every day, pH gently rises from 7.2 to 7.8 over 8-10 days. Pool is crystal clear (thank you TroubleFreePool.com!).

My question - I want to save electricity running the pump. but I also want to maximize the life of the SWG - so am I better off with longer pump run time, or higher SWG setting? 12 hours at 40%, or 8 hours at 60%, or 6 hours at 80% - all produce 4.8 hours of SWG run time.

It is exactly the same run time for the SWG as you pointed out and that is all that matters for SWG lifetime.

So shorten your run time without any hesitation. You wont be sorry.

I totally do not understand why all the manufacturers went with the % generation time settings, it is inconvenient to maintain and you allways have to think abou the SWG when running extra pump hours.
My SWG is setup at 100% and is cut from the power in normal situation. My control computer turns the power of the SWG on at programmed hours during pump time. With this setup you can control the SWG exactly on the hours you want independent from total pump time.

If possible, I would go for the such a setup if I was you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.