Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time vs. SWG % setting

1. Back To Top    #1
    Huntington, IN

Pump run time vs. SWG % setting

So I've found a balance point running the SWG at 40% and the pump 12 hours a day (a seven hour period and a five hour period). FC is 7 to 7.5 every day, pH gently rises from 7.2 to 7.8 over 8-10 days. Pool is crystal clear (thank you!).

My question - I want to save electricity running the pump. but I also want to maximize the life of the SWG - so am I better off with longer pump run time, or higher SWG setting? 12 hours at 40%, or 8 hours at 60%, or 6 hours at 80% - all produce 4.8 hours of SWG run time.
    14'x28', 11.7K gal, IG, vinyl. Automatic pool cover, 1hp Hayward single speed pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward heat pump, Hayward Navigator, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir, Intellichlor IC15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pump run time vs. SWG % setting

It is exactly the same run time for the SWG as you pointed out and that is all that matters for SWG lifetime.

So shorten your run time without any hesitation. You wont be sorry.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I was about to post the same question - but this answers it! I am going to cut back my run time and up the SWG %. Save some $$.
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lelystad, The Netherlands

I totally do not understand why all the manufacturers went with the % generation time settings, it is inconvenient to maintain and you allways have to think abou the SWG when running extra pump hours.
    My SWG is setup at 100% and is cut from the power in normal situation. My control computer turns the power of the SWG on at programmed hours during pump time. With this setup you can control the SWG exactly on the hours you want independent from total pump time.

If possible, I would go for the such a setup if I was you
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG :

5. Back To Top    #5

Roseville, CA

Mine runs when ever the pump runs, which is also when the solar water system is pushing warm water. Which is most of the time.

I run my SWG at 25%.
    SWG: CircuPool SI30+Plus; Recommended Levels: Salt 3000-4000, 3500 is ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006