LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2014
Pittsburg, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
On a suggestion, I tried using the lower speed of my 2 speed pump. It still has some suction through the hose and vacuum head to pick up leaves although not as well as on high.

The filter pressure gauge shows nearly zero pressure. The pump trap does not stay filled with water on the low speed, with water just gushing from the inlet to the pump impeller opening. There is no obvious air bubble. Is this enough to effectively pump water through the filter?

with water just gushing from the inlet to the pump impeller opening. There is no obvious air bubble. Is this enough to effectively pump water through the filter?
That is an obvious air pocket because you wouldn't see it otherwise. So you might work on the pump lid gasket and see if you can't make it seal better. When there is less suction in the pump basket, the pump lid may leak more.

Thanks for your replies.
I ran the pump on high filling the pump then switched to low speed. It held the vacuum and the pressure read about 5lbs. Looks like you were correct about air.
I've been learning and watching the water level going down and had several days with the water below the skimmer level and shut the pump off afraid to cause damage.

We are on voluntary water conservation her in the SF Bay Area and my water bill was over $150 last month when we had to add a couple of inches of water after a repair to the skimmer. I am concerned that we may still/again have a water leak. Don't have enough experience to know how much loss is normal due to evaporation - we've had a few weeks in the 90's and over 100 degrees. Yesterday we added about 1" of water to take it to 1/2" above the skimmer. Ran the pump at low speed for 5 hrs overnight. Leaving for 2 days and am hoping it will be adequate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.