Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Effectiveness of pump at low speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Effectiveness of pump at low speed

On a suggestion, I tried using the lower speed of my 2 speed pump. It still has some suction through the hose and vacuum head to pick up leaves although not as well as on high.

The filter pressure gauge shows nearly zero pressure. The pump trap does not stay filled with water on the low speed, with water just gushing from the inlet to the pump impeller opening. There is no obvious air bubble. Is this enough to effectively pump water through the filter?
    ==============
    semi rectangular ~ 12,000 gal pool, fiberglass built in 1983, painted 2014.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS6 1.5 HP, Crystal Water cartridge filter, using TF-100 test kit, bleach per TFP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Effectiveness of pump at low speed

Low speed is great for circulation and filtering, not so good for manual vacuuming. Low speed saves 50% of the electricity (or more) compared to high speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by rnjw View Post
    with water just gushing from the inlet to the pump impeller opening. There is no obvious air bubble. Is this enough to effectively pump water through the filter?
    That is an obvious air pocket because you wouldn't see it otherwise. So you might work on the pump lid gasket and see if you can't make it seal better. When there is less suction in the pump basket, the pump lid may leak more.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your replies.
    I ran the pump on high filling the pump then switched to low speed. It held the vacuum and the pressure read about 5lbs. Looks like you were correct about air.
    I've been learning and watching the water level going down and had several days with the water below the skimmer level and shut the pump off afraid to cause damage.

We are on voluntary water conservation her in the SF Bay Area and my water bill was over $150 last month when we had to add a couple of inches of water after a repair to the skimmer. I am concerned that we may still/again have a water leak. Don't have enough experience to know how much loss is normal due to evaporation - we've had a few weeks in the 90's and over 100 degrees. Yesterday we added about 1" of water to take it to 1/2" above the skimmer. Ran the pump at low speed for 5 hrs overnight. Leaving for 2 days and am hoping it will be adequate.
    ==============
    semi rectangular ~ 12,000 gal pool, fiberglass built in 1983, painted 2014.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS6 1.5 HP, Crystal Water cartridge filter, using TF-100 test kit, bleach per TFP